How can I fix a corrupted Kingston USB after uninstalling a security software?

Ansar Babbar August 21, 2011

Once I have installed a USB security software, which protected USB by password. I have given it a password.

But after some time, when I uninstalled the software, USB got corrupted and it shows 765kb total memory instead of 23GB. Please solve my problem.

1. AkashD

Try formatting it from Linux.. Or
    you can also try installing that security software allover again..which may make the space visible (coz.. most security softwares encrypt files, etc).

2. Gerald

If you deleted a lot of the drive, there is always bits left behind connect your flash drive as normal, create some files that you can delete and put in trash, use secure empty trash or a little utility app called SUPER EMPTY TRASH and see if you regain space on your flash drive, this works on Mac os10.6.8 not sure for a PC

From personal experience I suggest to use the HP Format Tool which (unfortunately) means you will lose all data on the key. If this doesn't restore the full capacity it is a (very) good assumption that your USB key is corrupted for good.

Kingston USB Keys usually come with 5 years warranty ~ unless it is older then that you should be able to get a free replacement by contacting Kingston.

If you can afford to lose the information on the drive, reformatting it should be the easiest solution. To do this, go to Start -> My Computer -> Find your usb driver and right click on it, chose "format". You will loose all the information on the drive by doing this.

Have you tried to format USN Key like using HP Format Tool
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool.shtml