How can I fix a computer that keeps rebooting?

Noreen Salas February 7, 2011

After downloading a movie I opened it and now the computer keeps rebooting and I can’t get to my documents. I know, I should not have opened that file, but done is done and now how do I fix it? Please help! I know very little about fixing computers and I can’t seem to get any help!

1. Mikey842_2000

I have this pc that was given to me and it was riddled with virus trojan vundo etc..I coundnt figure out how to keep the viruses from coming back so i turned off system restore and now i cant turn it back on . It just keeps rebooting. I just ned to figure out how to turn system restore back on on i can continue the battle but now i am stuck. It had xp pro on it and no disc. I was going to let my dying mother in law use this pc and now its screwed up i feel so bad been working on it for about 11 hours now i am about in tears any advise would be greatly appreciated..thankyou..

Mikey,

for people to see your question and to get great answers I suggest that you ask a new question.

First shutdown your computer.
    then insert your os disk you have.
    then load you computer.
    when you get to the boot options go to boot from disk.
    next, when the disk loads hit the repair button.
    This will not erase your computer info but restore it to how it was before it did this.
    then it should work.

good luck

OR...
    You can try http://www.make-pc-faster.com/ This is an easy-to-use program for computer errors repairing.

OR
    you can try wwwdotthecomputerengineerdotblogspotd...
    here you can find solution of your problems

or
    if you try to repair windows and the XP repair function does not work, BUT you still need to access your files in your hard drive, what do you do?

your are in luck, but you need to do some work.

I had this problem and this is how I fixed it.

Steps:

1. get UBUNTU (is free). Go here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

After you download the image, burn it to a cd or dvd. Reboot your computer with ubuntu and select the "try it without installing" feature.

2. this will boot your computer using ubuntu (which looks and works like XP). this might take a few minutes (3-7 minutes)

2. a. (if by any reason ubuntu does not load or hangs up, try this quick fix posted by MIKEFOLKES : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=970117 ) I had this problem and this fixed it.

3. once ubuntu loads, look for file explorer and select your hard drive.

4. copy all the files and folders you need to and external media such as a flash drive or hard drive.

5. shut down ubuntu (rigth top corner of the screen)

6. take the ubuntu cd out and put in xp back in

7. install windows again (reformat your hard drive and install)

3. Noreen Salas

I'm going to try the suggestions and let you know - thank you all! My operating system is windows 7. I can login but after that I get an error stating that it's shutting down to protect it's self and then it counts down and reboots, starting the whole process again. I'm not that computer savvy so do appreciate all the help!

Hey Noreen,

Any updates on the issue? Were you able to fix it? Let us know.

Aibek

Dear Noreen,

There are two possibilities 1) Your computer has been infected with a virus or 2) your operating system was damaged, and the coincidence to downloading the movie was just bad luck. At this stage you may not know which of the two it is, but I'd recommend you scan for a virus first. Then, if that does not sort out the problem, fix the OS as explained above by Fidelis.

To remove a virus from an unusable system, you need to boot from an anti-virus "rescue disk". I can recommend the Kaspersky Rescue Disk (http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/rescuedisk) or AVG Rescue CD (http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd). There are instructions on the web sites about how to use them, but the broad outline is as follows:
    1. Download an 'image' file (also called an 'ISO file').
    2. Use CD writing software to create a CD from the image, or a special utility to make a bootable USB drive.
    3. Configure your PC to start up from CD or USB drive (see Fidelis' paragraph regarding the BIOS).
    4. Insert the CD/USB drive into the PC and restart it. The system will take quite a while to boot up and will look different from Windows (the discs are based on Linux).
    5. Once the machine is ready, start the antivirus program (if it wasn't started automatically), update the virus definitions, and then scan ALL the discs on the computer.
    6. This can take a long time (a few hours), but there's nothing for it. Just leave the software to run. At the end, you'll be presented with a report and, if there were any viruses, you'll be asked what you want to do with them. Quarantine them.
    7. Shut down the system, remove the rescue disc and start up the system again. With any luck, all will be well.

For future reference, make sure you unhide the extensions for files. This can help you a lot to find out what kind of file it is you are trying to open. Follow the next steps to do it:

If you have windows XP:

-- press windows key + E (opens explorer)
    -- On menu, click Tools
    -- Click on Folder options
    -- Click on View tab
    -- Find and uncheck option hide extensions for known file types
    -- ok

If you have vista/windows 7:
    -- press windows key + E
    -- Click on Organize
    -- Click on folder and search options
    -- Find and uncheck hide extensions for known file types
    -- ok

If you follow these steps you will have all the extensions showing at the end of a name, for example filename.avi. If you get a so called movie file and it shows an extension like .exe, at least you will know it is not a movie file, but and executable one. Chances are that is what you clicked and executed a file with malware on it.
    The following are file extensions for movies .avi, .mpg, .divx, .mkv, .mp4, .mov, rmvb, etc.

What I am understanding from your explanation, windows does not finish the startup process, it just reboots when it reaches a certain point, am I right? If that is the case you can fix your problem two different ways, using a repair disc or a linux live cd. To be more precise with instructions, it would be good to know your operating system.

If your computer is unable to finish booting up, you you can restore your system to an earlier time also by using a system repair disc. To accomplish this, you have to go into BIOS and change the booting order from hard drive to cd/dvd. Accessing the BIOS varies depending on the BIOS manufacturer and the motherboard manufacturer. Sometimes you can keep pressing the delete key, other times F2, etc. The best way to find out what key to press is to keep reading the screen when your computer is booting up. If should say something like, to enter SETUP press such key. As an alternate solution, on startup it should also tell you what key you can press to change boot order without changing it in BIOS. Some of the most common keys to change boot order are F10 and F11.

System repair disk on windows 7/vista:
    http://www.mytechguide.org/2010/09/20/use-system-repair-disc-restore-windows-7-vista/

System repair disk on xp:
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm#How%20to%20Repair%20Windows%20XP%20by%20Installing%20Over%20top%20of%20Existing%20Setup:

Your best option is to get a linux based live cd/dvd. A live cd is is a cd/dvd that lets you start up your computer from a linux distro cd/dvd using your memory. Live cds are provided so that you can try linux without installing it in your system. For you to be able to use this fix you need to borrow/download a live cd/dvd image and burn it to cd/dvd. In case you only have the one computer, see if you can use somebody else's computer to download the image file. Here is a link:

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

When finished downloading and burning cd, follow the instructions on the following link to scan your computer with avast. The thing you have to remember when running live cds, is that they use your system memory to run. If you do not have a lot of memory installed in your system, it might take a while to finish scanning your drive.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14434/scan-a-windows-pc-for-viruses-from-a-ubuntu-live-cd/

If no malware is found (doubt it), you can try the check disk command, to fix errors in your drives. If you can access your system you can do the following:

-- start
    -- all programs
    -- click on computer icon
    -- highlight hard drive
    -- right click
    -- properties
    -- tools
    -- click on check now
    -- Check mark automatically fix file errors
    -- click on start
    -- when it asks you restart
    -- restart your system

If you do not have access to desktop use the repair/recovery disk to access command prompt and do the following:

-- chkdsk c: /r -- to recover
    -- enter
    or

-- chkdsk c: /f -- to fix
    -- enter

Noreen,

it sounds like your computer was infected with malware. There are several things you can do to remove malware. However, the rebooting could also be caused by something else.

I'm guessing that you're running a Windows operating system. Can you please specify the version?

What exactly happened when you opened the movie file? Did you see that any software was installed? Where there any error messages? Did the computer run normally until you shut it down and tried to boot the next time or did it reboot instantly?

What are the symptoms now? How is your computer rebooting? Is there a countdown or an error message? Can you log into your account at all?

Well use windows system restore point to go back to an earlier state.
    Are you able to boot to safe mode?

Once you're in Safe Mode, head into System Properties –> System Restore or just search through the Control Panel to pull up the wizard, choose the restore point that you'd like to roll back to, and then choose Next to start the restore process.

you can also go to run then type rstrui or rstrui.exe and start the wizzard.

1) Click Start, then open Control Panel

2) Click Performance and Maintenance

3) Click System

4) Click on the Advanced Tab

5) Click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section

6) Uncheck Automatically Restart in the System failure section

Note that this may prevent the system from restarting, but it can also mask the true problem.