How can I fix my computer after a failed Hackintosh Snow Leopard installation?

Alex November 24, 2010

For a long time, I’ve been waiting to be able to get a copy of Snow Leopard to put on my PC. When I walked into the Apple store today, I saw a little sticker on the Snow Leopard cases that it had version 10.6.3 on it, so I decided that just meant I didn’t have to update it later.

I checked many sites to make sure I knew what to do, and printed out one just in case. I saw there are many ways to do it, and I used iBoot Supported. It seemed like the best way to do it.

I managed to get to the install process, and then I realized that if I wanted to do it, I would have to erase everything on my hard drive. I decided to go back to my Windows 7 Home Premium installation to make sure I had everything I wanted backed up, but it already managed to make it so that I couldn’t start up Windows. I then decided that I had no choice but to go on with Snow Leopard. After many (failed) attempts, I could not get it to work.

I decided that I should go back to Windows 7. After another failed attempt to do something right, I finally managed to get the Dell Windows 7 disk that came with my laptop to install Windows 7, but now I can’t get the right screen resolution, can’t scroll down with the trackpad, it now lets me use the keyboard and trackpad at the same time (which is a bad thing), and the WEI scoring is almost right, except it gave the graphics and gaming graphics a 1.0 instead of being 4.

It also won’t let me use Windows Aero. I spent all of my money on my laptop and barely managed to get just enough to get Snow Leopard, so I can’t afford to pay to fix anything, and I’m one of those people who can’t live without their computer and also is very picky, and can’t do anything if something isn’t right, so I really need answers as soon as possible.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1764 laptop, 17-inch screen, running Windows 7 Home Premium, with Intel Core i5 processor, and 4 GB DDR3 RAM.

1. Arjun

i did the exact same thing had the exact same problems !!! someone help please.

i want my windows 7 64 back :(

if you have windows 7 64, then boot on it and first select the hard drive and format, then install (you must have the serial in order to activate the copy to be genuine). Now if entering serial fails then you have activate with phone option. 

2. Alex

Actually, not to be rude or anything, but I don't think I want to try Linux out. I've been a Windows user my entire life (with a little Mac OS-just enough to want to have some for myself, if you know what I mean. That's why I wanted to do Hackintosh, if I'm saying that right). Just about everything I use isn't Linux-compatable, and after what happened, I don't want to use a different OS just to get the right screen resolution and browse the internet, then have to switch back to Windows when I want to do just about anything I normally do. So if anyone knows how to get the screen resolution back to 1600x900 and getting the wireless internet working without having to burn anymore cd's, that would be awesome.

In case I didn't say it already, sorry if I just said no to whatever you people just said, but I appreciate the fact you are trying to help, but I want my computer to be as close to familiar as possible, and with how often I am using it for whatever reasons, I don't think I could handle going to a completely new OS.

3. Alex

Okay, I will try out Linux, but will I be able to get the screen resolution back to 1600x900? Also, I currently can't connect to the internet without the ethernet, and the VGA port isn't working. I reinstalled Windows with the disk that came with my computer, and the drivers disk just brought up a page that just gave info about what the drivers can do.

And just to clear things up, I was dumb and didn't back up anything, except for some pictures and stuff on my flash drive, and I reformatted the hard drive to install Snow Leopard. To put Windows back on, I had to go back to the Snow Leopard installation disk, and reformat the hard drive again as all free space, so the Windows Installer would let me install it.

And I just want to thank you all for trying to help. It means a lot.

• Tripolinights

Hi Alex,
      Don't worry about what happened, just treat the whole thing as an educational opportunity. With regards to the resolution, usually Linux recognises the graphics card and optimizes the screen, or you could set the resolution yourself. But you will know when you try the Live CD out, just boot Linux Mint 10 Live DVD (http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=69) or CD out, and then check if everything works or not, keeping in mind that certain things may only work after full installation. Also keep in mind that most distro's will recognize the wireless card by default, and so may not, so you may still need the ethernet just in case so you can quickly and easily download the wireless driver and install it. After that things should work fine. Another distro which is very easy to use and also should be ready to use after installing is called PCLinuxOS (http://www.pclinuxos.com/?page_id=180). Let me know if you have any issues :). Good luck.

4. Cory

I'd recommend reinstalling windows this happened to me once

5. Tripolinights

Just to add Alex to my previous comment, Linux is totally free! No cost at all and also free to configure, I've written a post about Linux if you want more background on the subject (sorry if you know all this): http://bit.ly/9560Dx , it also contains info on how to install Ubuntu, but I recommend Linux Mint 10 for new users as it has the codecs ready to use. Thanks.

6. Tripolinights

Hi, sorry to here about the troubles. If you have backed up your date, if you need quick access to the computer and in the right configuration, you could try out Linux, this is a good time to try it out, I would recommend Linux Mint 10. It is very easy to use and very slick. You can burn the iso on a CD and try the OS fully with out effecting your current system. You can also use it to retrieve old data from your hard drive if there was no previous formatting involved. There are plenty of online video tutorials on how to install Linux Mint or Ubuntu 10.10. Leave me a message on my Twitter (@tripolinights)if you need any help. Good luck!

I'm sorry to hear that, but this may be one to chalk up to experience - never mess around with your computer without fully backing up first and accepting the risks that it may all go horribly wrong.

Having said that, the most important first thing to do is to check the hard disk - did you actually write over the previous windows partition with OsX? Did the restore CD put it back to the initial state by wiping the hard disk? Try to find some of your old files on the disk, and if theyre not there, then you may have to move onto data recovery options if you're hoping to get some of the data back.

If not, if you could care less about the data, then I suggest a full reformat with the recovery disks. You will, of course , lose all your data and applications, so this is only an option is there's nothing important on there that you need. With the recovery disks you mentioned, there should be no driver problems - and if there are then plug it into the internet via the ethernet port and Windows 7 will easily find drivers for it. The user settings like trackpad options and such are definately something you're going to have to set though, if that isn't how the computer was first.

If you really want to try Osx, I suggest a Mac Mini (if you have a keyboard/mouse/monitor to use with it) or a Macbook Air. I had my own hackintosh running for a few months, but ultimately it ruined the mac experience for me - hackintoshes are faced with the same horrendous drivers issues etc that plague windows and make you want to switch in the first place. It is, as you have found out now, often more trouble than it is worth.

I hope some of this will help you, it really does suck when this kind of thing happens - relax, suck it up, and put it down to experience. You will be a better person because of this!

• Losh11

hey i'm replying on a hackintosh i built yesterday
      i used iAtkos s3 v2 and it works well my internet and sound works and it's really fast.
      i'm going to upgrade it to osx 10.6.8 then osx lion.

Thanks for sharing what worked for you, Losh!