How can I fix a ‘Code 31 Consumer IR device’ error in Windows 7?
Question by Robert Barton /

The driver is updating, but will not work and I am getting the blue screen and my Firefox browser sometimes stops responding. I have a Gateway One ZX6800 with Windows 7 Home Premium. I have installed Driver Detective to update my drivers, however, 21 still will not update.

Hi Robert,

Did you manage to fix the issue? Let us know.

For code errors see

do you have any unknown devices in the device manager. One thing you can try is to uninstal your IR driver, reboot and let windowsto instal a new one. Then Go to windows updater and see if any updates will come up.

Also try to boot on one ram and then with the other ram. See if this will solve anything? possible also its hardware problems. Try disable your graphic card driver and see if everything is OK.

other steps
    Put the computer in clean boot state in safe mode and then try booting to normal mode

You may also perform Hardware clean boot in safe mode.

Follow the steps below to perform hardware clean boot

a. Right click on My Computer -> Properties
    b. Hardware Tab -> Device Manager
    c. Right Click on Sound Card, Video Adapter, Network Adapter one by one and click disable
    d. Reboot the computer. If the problem is fixed then you can enable the hardware devices one by one to find the exact device that cause the problem

After you found the device that causing the problem you can resolve by installing last driver or replacing the device.

final suggestion reinstal windows!

Try a scan with DriverEasy, it detected my Lexmark printer whereas other more famous softs failed to do that. If then you are interested to purchase the pro feature then you can use Coupon Code: DRIV-UI9E : 30% coupon, it is valid until 31/12/2010

do you know which driver, i.e. which consumer IR device is causing the problem?
    What is the error code of your Blue Screen Of Death?

Try to manually update the graphics card with drivers from the graphics card manufacturer. I would recommend to download the new driver, then remove the old driver, delete it off your system (Windows will ask you), then reboot and install the new driver.