How can I fix a broken MicroSD Card?

Osama March 7, 2010

I have an LG KG300 which supports 1 GB MicroSD Card. Today when I switched ON my cell phone, I am unable to open anything on card and it is showing total space 0 KB and free space also 0 KB. Also on connecting to PC it is not opening. Kindly tell me what to do now?

1. sander

I have same problem

2. crisaldy mendoza

I am unable to open anything on card and it is showing total space 0 KB and free space also 0 KB. Also on connecting to PC it is not opening. Kindly tell me what to do now?Today when I switched ON my cell phone.

3. jake acebes

Hi i lost memory card 6 month and now i found it. i tried to opened it thru a memory card reader but it does not open and it says it requires formatting. I dont want to reformat it because it contains some important documents.

4. JM

5. Max

hey pleaseee help me as i put my memory card in p.c or my cell it asks for a format but i dont want to format it any how plz helpppp  

6. Sefsd

i acidently snapped my memory card in haf but it is still together  its not showing up on me phone how to i ix it?

7. Fomoco14

My micro sd got run over and it looks a little bent, not much and its not broken in half it does get warm though when i try to run it, how can i get my pics off of there??  Is there any way??

8. Doucevanne

I had my sd card on my Lg optimus, my phone got broke by brother :( now when I try to use my sd card on my samsung or other phone it says:please insert a sd card???please help I need to recover pictures and videos :(

• Chatra

the same thing happened to me. i havent found anything. tried reformatting it but it says external media in unknown state

9. Melchorjuan89

I what t know how to fix my mini SD card my phone or computer can't read itit

10. Sohnipak007

my microso sd locked. when i put in the   cardreader .there is no any mamory card . so how i can get back my pics ?

11. Marisse Aquino

how to fix my memory card that is hatch into 2 ... all my files in my computer is inserted their .. tell me plss how ..

12. Rahul_studdanddude

my chip is a bit cracked from downwards(from the broad line thick 1  ) so is there any chance that i can fix it up

13. Bikercheo

I need Help as everybody here.. I have a Micro SD card, but my Evo 4G doesn't recognized it now I trying it in my laptop and still doesn't work , I had also inserted it in my friend's cell but nothing (is not broken) I can't see any scratches either.....What should I do in order to recover or make it work?
    thanks in advance

• christina

the same thiing happened to my evo please if you get a response on how to do it please let me know. because sprint couldnt help me

14. leonheart

my BB mobile cant read anymore my 2gb SD card but when i connect to pc it can read and open but when i formatting it it will gone and cannot be recognize and cannot read my pc anymore...PLS help me to recover my sd card plss...

15. Ruchitamandan

hey am having 8gb mini sd card which i was using in my blackberry buh all of sudden it got corrupted...and when ever i tires to open it..it says insert the memory card while its in there only...please help me how can i fix that one cos am having my family picture init 

• luckydestroyer

I had the same problem with my cards I am still looking for a way to have them repaired when they heat up. I do know it is physical damage and requires tools that criminal forensics can obtain. As for corrupted files I do not recommend reformatting I give it to my friend who fixes them within an hour. I have everyone I know take them to him.

• ruchitamandan

buh still it doesn't help me please suggest me something how can i repair the sd card and format even doesn't matter 

• needserioushelpkr

My SD card was in my phone. I was taking pics when all of a sudden it said insert SD card. Phone doesn't recognize SD card. Neither does card reader or computer. All my photos, videos, and music are gone. I only care about the photos. Took to a data recovery (data doctors) place...paid $90 and they said recovery not possible...irreversible electronic failure. Anything else possible to do?!

I'm afraid there is not much else you can do. Sorry!

• Iloveplatypis

Go the freak away you don't help anybody!!!

16. This-is-jean-shinshaka-jearc

my memory card freezes and makes every program i open with not to respond. run, recovery software, right clicking of double clicking, it freezes every program, even task manager

If you would like to know how you can fix this issue, I recommend you to ask a new question. Please click the Ask a Question button in the top left of MakeUseOf Answers and fill in the question form. Thank you!

• Ahmad Shakil92

if you can sacrifice your data put it in card reader boot your computer with windows cd it will show below to your hdd format it it will work fine

17. Lucy_rose_richmond

hello there i have a sony ericsson xperia x10 and my micro sd snapped slightly it worked fine for a bit then all of a sudden it started to say no memory card inserted please insert a new one and it wont reconize it in a different computer or phone all i really really want off it is my photos but i dont want to pay for special fixtures

Lucy,

try the advice above. If that doesn't work and you don't want to pay for a recovery service, then I'm afraid there is not much that can be done. Please let us know in case you find a way to rescue your photos!

18. zisi

my sd card is not OK..one from metal connectors is broken..somebody can change?

Zisi,

did you try to fix the broken metal connector? I'm sure this can be fixed, but I don't know how. This might be worth asking a new question.

19. Dalcalster

I have a kingston 4gb micro sd card, which I used in my mobile. Suddenly I have found that the card is not detecting by my mobile after that I have tried to access the card through PC & laptop but none of the device can detect the same. Is it completely corrupted?

Dalcalster,

have you tried any of the tips above? There are a number of things you can try, but unfortunately, these things do break at some point.

• Shivani Verma

hey tina, i tried all the above tips and none of them worked... it is inaccessible in pc or a mobile phone... what to do... i bought the memory card 2 to 3 months ago only.. help me please...

Shivani,

as I responded in the other thread, sometimes there is not much you can do. If you only bought it a few months ago, maybe you still have warranty and can at least get a new card.

20. Adryano_66

my sd had ben broken can i have some help

21. Adryano_66

my sd its broken can i have som help from u plz

22. Joan Añasco

I have a kingston micro sd card. Its in my hands for over 2 years or 3. And yesterday its was on my cellphone and before I go to sleep, my sd card wasnt recognized in my phone. I tried to insert it to my classmate's phone and none. And when they got their sd in my phone, it worked, when i tried mine again, the sd card pic in my phone doesn't show. When I tried to format it in the computer, it won't open, when i try to open, it says that there is no inserted disk... What do i do? Please helpp!

• Annjnichols

How about this, this happened to my daughter and I tried it in my phone same thing. So I put it in a bigger card reader to try it in my computer and it started smoking and when I pulled it out right away I got burned!! Thank goodness I didn't walk away and that our phones and my computer were not damaged! I cannot believe this happened. I tested my computers sd slot with another card after it cooled down and it worked fine. It was that micro card, didn't know that could be so dangerous! 

• kazimraza

is ur card working now joan anasco

23. Sevan Aghazarian25

it is for my micro sd card.

24. Sevan Aghazarian25

where can i get some professional service help from?

• Ajaz Ahmed Memon

my micro card is cant be format and not a detect my nokia x2 phone what can i do please tell me 

25. Crazidude

plz if anybody knows ho to fix this problem pls mail me. crazidude@live.com

If none of the tips above work, I'm afraid you are out of luck. You could still turn to a (costly) professional service to have your data recovered. That's the only other advice I have, everything else has been said.

26. Crazidude

got the same problem as jesse. the computer just wont detect the memory card. plz help!!

27. Jesse96138

my micro sd card was fried and will not read anywhere SOME ONE PLEASE HELP MME IX IT IT HAS MY FAV PIC OF MY BOYFRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesse,

what do you mean it was fried? What did you do to it? I think you should post a new question.

28. Manoj

My 2GB micro sd card broken when it was my pocket. Please help me.

29. Adhamyaqub

hello my microsd is show this problem ( is not accessible ,the parameter is incorrect) ?
    and I can't formatting ?
    please help me

Adhamyaqub,
      I recommend that you post a new question! Come to http://www.makeuseof.com/answers and click the Ask a Question link, currently located in the top left.

the memory card is actually for my nokia 6300 mobile phone so who would i take it to?

what can i do about getting my photos and some voice recordings off my MicroSD card that has snapped, not completely but it's not working?

If the card is physically damaged (snapped) and is no longer recognized by your computer, then there is little chance you'll be able to recover the data yourself or with free tools.

There are data recovery companies that may be able to recover your data, but that's an expensive option.

To hear different opinions and receive all the advice possible, I would recommend you to post this as a new question.

• John_629

Hello Maam Tina Im John , my microsd was broken by my neice and was lost, inside are passwords, bank account nos and am afraid it will fall into the wrong hands can it be use and whoever finds it can they put it back together and run my files?

John,

was it physically broken? In that case I wouldn't worry. The likelihood that someone finds it who is able to put it back together and read the files is very low.

If it didn't bear any physical damage and was simply no longer recognized by your computer, then someone with a bit of technical knowledge and persistence may be able to access the data.

In any case, you should regularly change your passwords, if at all possible.

If this answer isn't sufficient, I ask you to post a new question. Thank you!

• John_629

It was broken crosswise and couldnt find it anymore

• John_629

Yeas it was physically snapped crosswise and broken into 2

• SADIQ AHMED

I HAVE FORGOT MY MEMORY CARD PASSWORD .
      I WANT TO RESET THE PASSWORD .
      PLEASE HEIP ME PLZ PLZ .....
      HOW COULD I RESET IT????

Before trying to format the drive losing all of your data run a check disk - you can follow step two from Guy's MakeUseOf Article Here http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-make-corrupt-usb-jump-drives-work/ and if that doesn't work the third step will walk you through Saikat's option to format.

33. Saikat Basu

Clean the metal connectors with a rubber or a cotton swab. It could be a physical reason. Try opening it on other devices and if successful, you can do a format to start afresh. These two are the basic first steps, I can think of right now. Let us know if you are successful.

not successful