How can I fix a bad hard drive sector?

Ziaur August 23, 2012

I have two HDD. One is 1TB and another is 320GB. When I start scan disk on the  1TB. Every thing is going well but suddenly one of the drive took much time to scan and after completed I restart the PC and also it took some time to start. Now it says  I have a 12KB bad sector in the report of the scan.

What can i do to fix it?

1. Pete Cantele

I've used SpinRite for almost 20 years and found that nothing compares to its ability to route out bad sectors.
    Way better than chkdisk, although that is a good place to start.
    http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

2. John

You can try opening up a command prompt (with administrative privileges terminal and running chkdsk followed by the drive letter and a colon. make sure to use the the /F and /r switch

For Example if I wanted to to check my C drive for errors and recover bad sectors I would type out the command as follows

chkdsk C: /f /r

It may take up to several hours to complete so you best off doing this at a time when your most likely to be away from your machine, just remember to leave it on

Hope this helps

John.

3. Jouni "Rautamiekka" Järvinen

There is nothing you can do about a bad sector cuz a bad sector is a physical fault in the drive, meaning it's a dead spot but the drive is otherwise usable.

On XP you must run "chkdsk : /V /R" for complete check and on VI$TA or above "chkdsk : /V /B" which is even more complete, as it re-checks bad sectors. If possible, use a 64-bit Win7 installer to run that via the Command Prompt, or a computer with 64-bit 7 installed on it.

As long as the sectors aren't growing from that you're fine. I'd recommend running the check per above every 3 weeks to see how you're going. The faster they grow the sooner you must move shit or you're done for.

Note the drive letter of the disk with the bad sectors. Open a command prompt and type 'chkdsk /f' (you need to replace with the drive that is reporting the problems and press Enter. It may tell you that it needs exclusive access to the drive and you need to reboot your system. Do so. During the reboot it will scan the drive and fix bad sectors (relocate data from bad sectors to good ones while marking the bad sector so it won't be reused) and any other problems it finds with the drive structures.It is normal to occasionally end up with a bad sector being reported, but if it continues to happen, you need to make sure you are backing up that drive more frequently (you are backing it up in the first place, right?) and prepare for a drive faillure (have a spare handy or start saving for a replacement drive).

5. Henrik Taule

I have heard a lot good about SpinRite. It is way to expensive in my opinion ($89), but could be worth it if you have important files you don't want to lose. http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm