How do I fix the “access denied” issue in Dropbox when trying to save or import to Unity?

Daniel V March 2, 2014

Hello guys, I just got Dropbox on my computer, and it’s a great program. You guys for sure already know what it is, but I have an issue with using programs with it.

So I’m currently working on my first video game in Unity, and I put my Unity project into Dropbox, whenever I save or import packages to Unity, it saves to Dropbox.

Hence why it is saying “Access Denied” I have to refresh the import process 10+ times for it to work. Can anyone help me?

Hey Daniel, hopefully someone smarter than I speaks up on this issue. But until that happens, I have some advice.:

I had a similar issue some time ago syncing Eclipse through Dropbox. I can't remember specifically what I did to resolve the issue (or even what caused it), but have you tried upgrading your Dropbox client to the latest version?

I believe that this problem started showing up when I had compilers running on two different computers (I have no idea why this would cause issues). It went away pretty quickly without much troubleshooting, too.

Alternatively, if you're using Windows, try turning off UAC. Just type "UAC" into the Windows search bar. And select "change user account control settings". And move the slider all the way down. If that solves the problem, then it's a permissions issue. You can restore your UAC settings and then change the permissions on your workspace (right-click -> properties -> security) to allow yourself the proper permissions. I could be wrong on this though. Hope that helps!

• Daniel V

Thank you for responding, however I have already updated my Dropbox to the latest version, and already have made my UAC the lowest. Thank you for trying to solve my problem, however.

• Kannon Y

No prob. I think I know the issue, but I only have the barest idea on how Unity might work.

Is your builder denying access? That might be because your workspace location changes across different computers. For example, on your laptop the build location might be users/daniel_laptop/unity/workspace and on your desktop it might be users/daniel_desktop/unity/workspace. In this case, the development environment would look for a folder that doesn't exist and it would give you the "access denied" error.

The easiest fix is to rename your user account so that it matches across different systems. There are other workarounds, too, but before elaborating we should confirm that this is indeed the issue.

• Daniel V

I am only using Dropbox, and Unity on one computer. ;o