Why does Firefox not show latest version of MakeUseOf.com?

Sanjay March 8, 2010

Intermittently, when I open www.makeuseof.com in Firefox, I see an older page (it is happening right now). Afer 2 or 3 days, it updates and I see many posts which I would miss (or go to “older posts” options and read) if I did not use Internet Explorer for browsing this site.
It happens only with Firefox and only with makeuseof site. I visit many other sites which are updated more than once daily and I get the updated page only.

A minor problem, since I can always open the site in Internet Explorer and browse. But still I am curious why this might be happening.

What plugins do you have running in your FireFox? Do you have another computer on your network where you can try running Firefox and accessing MakeUseOf?

Sanjay,

Firefox is probably loading a cached version of MakeUseOf.com. I can't explain why this only happens for MakeUseOf and not any other site, but we can have a look at your Firefox settings to eventually find out.

In Firefox go to > Tools > Options and select the > Advanced tab. Click the > Network subtab. Here you can clear your cache manually. Please have a look at your other "Offline Storage" settings. Is MakeUseOf.com listed as a page that has stored data for offline use? If yes, remove it. Also click the > Exceptions... button and see whether MakeUseOf.com is listed there. If yes, remove it.

If all of these settings were clear, I have no idea what may cause your issue. Until someone comes up with a solution, there are two temporary workarounds. One is to reload the page after opening it. To bypass your cache when reloading, hold the SHIFT button on your keyboard while you click the reload button in Firefox.

The second workaround would be to empty your cache. This can be done automatically when you exit Firefox. Go to > Tools > Options, select the > Privacy tab and put a checkmark on > "Clear history when Firefox closes. Then click the > Settings button and check > "Cache" and > "Offline Website Data". Click > OK on all open windows to save your changes.

You can also try refreshing the makeuseof.com homepage using CTRL+F5.
      This will clear the cache for homepage and get the current copy for the
      page.

Aibek

• Sanjay

Cleared cache and cookies and the page loaded correctly. I did not notice any listing any where of the site in Mozilla tools - options, still do not know why it happened / happens.

Anyway, let me see for a few more days.

Thanks for your replies and help