Why is Firefox not saving my desired homepage, search engine, and ad block settings?

Cristi√°n T February 17, 2014

I’m having trouble getting Firefox to save various preferences of mine, particularly my homepage. Every time I open Firefox, it sends me to a Yahoo! webpage that is not what I want. I go into options > general > startup > restore to default, and yet every time I restart the program, it sends me right back to this undesired webpage.

Another thing I’m having an issue with is my search engine. I noticed this when I tried searching for something using what I thought was my default search engine, which was Google. I was corrected when I realized that I was searching using Yahoo! instead. Obviously this is not the search engine I want to use when I’m searching on the Internet for things I want to find.¬†However, once I change the search engine, my settings will stay saved for as long as I keep my browser open. Once I close my browser, it resets my search settings.

Another one of my most problematic issues I find my browser afflicted with is the fact that Adblock Plus is no longer blocking ads and popups during my browsing experience. This obviously diminishes my enjoyment of having an intentionally functional browser on my computer, when I find that my browser is no longer functioning the way I want it to.

One thing I noticed was that I started up my computer, noticing that there were about fifteen to twenty new programs with really sketchy names installed on my computer. I don’t think these magically appeared, nor do I think they were installed remotely or by some virus or something like that, because I remember where I put my computer before I went to sleep last night, and it wasn’t there this morning when I woke up.

This leads me to believe that someone was using it last night, and for some reason thought it was a good idea to download programs with rather ridiculous names (and functions). So please help me figure out how to keep my Firefox settings how I want them even when I close my browser. Thank you very much.