Why does Firefox freeze when I try to watch a YouTube video?
Question by john wands /

I am using Windows 7. Every time I try to watch a video on YouTube, I just get a green screen and Firefox freezes.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

• JCF

Hey! I have Avira antivirus installed with the search bar. I deactivated the bar and now firefox works fine… I think if u have an antivirus with the search bar it’s making youtube videos to freeze firefox…

Hello, firefox might be freezing because of problems with add-ons and also there might be some add-ons interfering.  If you don’t mind my asking how many and what add-ons do you have installed?  Do you have the noscript add-on?  Try to lessen the resources used by your browser.  Do you many tabs open?  You could try to use as few tabs as possible when you try to play your videos.  Because of what you said, I would head over to adobe and download the plugin for flash and try again.  It is better to download the installer and use the save option.  Once it finishes downloading/saving, close firefox and run the installer.  Once it tells you installation is complete, open firefox and head over to youtube and try to play your video. 

Also make sure to clean cache, cookies, history, etc. and then restart firefox.

plugins issues

?Open Firefox web browser.
    ?Type about:config in the address bar and press Enter key.
    ?A warning will appear. Ignore it and press the “I’ll be careful, I promise!” button.
    ?In the Filter field type dom.ipc. Six preferences will appear for the filter dom.ipc.
    ?Ignore first and last preferences (dom.ipc.plugins.enabled and dom.ipc.plugins.timeoutSecs). Toggle (double-click) each of the four remaining preferences to change the value from “true” to “false“.