Why do Firefox and Chrome not jump to the link I clicked when I go back to that page?

Derek Thompson June 6, 2011

When visiting a link in a webpage, why can’t I return to the position of the link instead of having to scroll down the webpage to find the original link? Firefox and Chrome

1. Kaosxes

you guys are idiots.hes telling you aproblem which is happening after a while to some users.

2. Jessica Cam W.

Hmm, I just tried it on Chrome 12 and Firefox 4, which totally took me back to the position of the original link that I clicked before pages changed.

I did wait till the original page loaded completely, even though I was tempted to scroll immediately back down to the position of the clicked link. If you wait till it loads completely, does it still not take you back down to the position of the link you clicked?

Derek,

I assumed that you experience the following situation:

1. You scroll through a website and click a link.
    2. The link opens in the same window or tab, i.e. it doesn't open in a new tab or window.
    3. You click the back button of your browser or right-click the page and select back.
    4. The previous page (in which you clicked the link) opens at the top.
    5. It does not jump down to where you clicked the link.

Is that correct? Please let us know!