Why can only Firefox access the internet when I’m connected to a WiFi network outside my school?

King June 13, 2010

I have an HP Pavilion dv6t-1250us laptop running on 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate Edition. I’ve installed 6 browsers on it, Chrome, Ffirefox, Safari, Opera, IE, and Maxthon.

The problem is that whenever I’m in a WiFi zone outside our school  and connect my laptop, it’s only Firefox that can access the internet. All browsers have internet access when I’m logged into our school’s WiFi network. The same is also true on my wired connection at home. I hate using Firefox.

King,

can you now connect to the WiFi with other browsers?

rdube is right. Check your Firefox proxy settings. In this post, http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-mask-yourself-online-use-a-fake-ip-address/ follow the instructions under "Change your proxy settings in your web browser". You should select Auto-Detect Proxy

3. Ryan Dube

Firefox doesn't use the build-in OS proxy settings like other browsers do. Check your Firefox proxy/connection settings and note how it's set up. Then go to your Internet Settings in the control panel and check your connection settings there, which is what your other browsers are using. In particular check out how the proxies are set up. If you have some weird proxy settings in there (probably from when you use it on your school network), you'll need to remove those. Give it a shot and let us know if it worked!

• pceasies

This was my problem. The school I go to also requires a proxy to access the internet and filter traffic. Be sure to restore the settings so you can access the internet again from school when done.