Why is Firefox 6.0 so slow?
Question by Jeffrey Smith /

Anyone having problems with the speed (or lack of speed) with which Firefox 6.0 loads pages? I asked this question on a US based noticeboard, and the answer I got was ‘what do you expect for nothing?’. This can’t be right.

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged ; or ask your own question.

Kols,

thank you very much for posting your analysis of the issue.

• Kols

The Hardware accelerator helps but the real problem is “plugin containers”.  Ran a 30 minute session on 6.0 with Task Master on and was shocked to see one of these things eating up 60% of my 1gb memory!  To aggravate the problem, some add-ons added a new “container” every time it was called, without deleting the old one.

So, as your session progresses, you have the built-in problems with cache and history and now an even bigger problem with these containers that keep multiplying and multiplying and, frankly the real problem is with how the folks at Mozilla think, as revealed by the cache and history problems in the first place.

Maybe they’re testing on machines with 4 – 8 gb of memory and so don’t see a problem with caches and histories or even these containers but the average netbook is a 1gb machine and most laptops start at 2gb, way too little memory to handle garbage files efficiently.

Beyond that, though, is why keep those files to begin with?  depending on your memory, there’s a point at which loading a page from the internet becomes equal to loading from the cache. At that point, Firefox should close the cache. It doesn’t, pages keep piling up and piling up.  A simple diagnostic subroutine comparing your machine’s memory to number of pages cached would do the trick.  Same thing with history, once the point of diminishing returns is reached, the file should be closed.  And, though Firefox is not responsible for the behavior of those containers, they must be aware of them and their potential to impede Firefoxe’s efficiency.  Yet they do nothing to address the issue.

It all boils down to how software engineers think: clean flowcharts and to hell with program efficiency.  Look at Microsoft: overbloated operating systems, each generation requiring more and more memory and higher and higher cpu usage for virtually no gain, like an infant getting fatter and fatter because it gets hungrier and hungrier the fatter it gets.

• Viraj

It takes a little more time to load initially. Initially I thought may be due to large number of bookmarks that I have made. I’m not sure of it.
    Also some add-ons like IDM CC isn’t supporting the FF7..

• Guest

Fix is to disable “use hardware acceleration when available” under Tools/OptionsAdvanced.

• 123

YOU ARE CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!

Fix is to disable “use hardware acceleration when available”

• Zebujules

I have the same problem and switched back to 5.01

• Jeffrey Smith

Thanks Jeffery and Aibeck. I have tried some of the ideas mentioned, but to no avail. However, I will try going the add-on route and report back.

In the meantime I can tell you the following.

1. The problem started with the upgrade to Firefox 6 from version 5.

2. Loading the same pages into IE9, Chrome, Safari and Opera is instantaneous, while Firefox 6 is still chugging along 5 minutes later.

3. The memory utilised by Firefox increases with use, and reaches ridiculous levels before it siezes up altogether and needs shutting down. It then won’t reopen for several minutes as Win 7 thinks its still running.

4. The Roboform toolbar, which works fine in IE9, seems to have problems doing anything.

I am pretty sure it’s one of the addons. The increase in memory usage over time is very likely to be caused by one of the incompatible addons. It also seems you’re not the only one with such problem, http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/866054

• Jeffrey Smith

Jeffery covered pretty much everything but one thing. Since you’re specifically referring to Firefox 6 I assume you had been using its earlier version and it worked fine for you. So, my guess would be something with addons. Try disabling all of the addons that you have installed and see if the speed improves. It’s likely that one of the addons is incompatible with Firefox 6 and causing the browser to act slow.

• Jeffery Fabish

Well, considering all the popular web browsers are free, that is a bad argument (: You should always ask your Firefox questions a Mozilla Support. Is Firefox slow or just the internet? Some are unable to distinguish the difference. 

1.) Check that your plugins are up-to-date using Mozilla plugin updater. In all of my cases, Firefox was slow because of plugins & extensions. Even Mozilla says so. If that fails, restart in safe mode (with addons disabled). How to do that here. If you have add-ons disabled and don’t plan on re-enabling anytime soon, just remove them. 

2.) Clear your browser cache (clear recent history) and install SpeedyFox. Speedyfox will clear some stuff that the built-in cleaner won’t.

3.) Does disabling your anti-malware and or firewall help? If so, only do so temporarily. 

4.) Defrag your hard drive using Auslogics Defrag and clear other junk using CCleaner.

5.) Check ram usage, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and go to “performance”. When you start firefox, does the CPU and memory usage go way high and stay or does it come back down (assuming it uses a lot of ram to begin with)?If it’s not fixed by now, please go to Help -> Troubleshooting information and press “copy to clipboard”. Then go to pastebin and paste it in there and post the link. This will give me a more sophisticated view of your Firefox environment.