Firefox 3.6 Will Not Boot. Earlier version Was Fine.

Jack Waddington February 20, 2010

I use an iMac with Snow Leopard. I updated the browser, replacing the previous version, but now it will not start. The icon in the dock merely bounces once and then stops. Nothing else was changed. Any suggestions as to how to find the cause? For instance, what difference(s) is there between the two versions at start-up?

1. Henning

Unfortunately it did not work for me... anybody who got another solution?

2. Erik

Great, thanks, this worked for me also

What is the magic behind this?

hi there,

i hope your problem has since been resolved. i recently came across this problem, as I installed the latest version of firefox (3.6) and it did the exact same thing on my mac OS. when i click on firefox icon, it just bounces on the screen, but it does not start. it's not in the finder either. at first i thought it was some virus but after searching some resources, i figured out how to fix it. I don't know why it behaved that way, maybe the mozilla folks didn't test well enough before rolling out the latest version (quality assurance -> important).

Anyway, people have been offering different solutions on the Internet, but here's the quick and simple solution that worked for me:
    Go to Finder -> Applications
    Look for Firefox -> right click to "Get Info"
    the file is named "Firefox.app"
    Change filename to "Firefox4.app" (basically, just change the filename to something else)
    Exit to save and try reloading Firefox now.
    Voila, and it should work (you can change back the name to Firefox.app if you like).

Good luck!

Thanks for the fix!

4. ├Žnon1mus

Hi Jack,

Have you tried removing Firefox from your Applications folder, emptying the Trash, downloading a new copy of Firefox and installing it again? Something might have gone wrong with the update.

I don't have a Mac, so I am not 100% sure. But make sure there is not another instance of the program already running. In Windows, FF will not sometimes start when the process is still running.

The only other thing I can recommend is that you completely uninstall it, then download a fresh copy of the latest Firefox.