Why Won’t Firefox 3.5 Use My Font?

Bluesrains February 2, 2010

Im using Windows 7 and Firefox, newest version, wont show my favorite font, Abbey Medium? I downloaded it to my font file on Win7 but it just wont show in Firefox.

It worked on every other version of Firefox with Vista and XP. Help! I miss my font!

1. pceasies

Does the font show up as a choice in Notepad/Wordpad/MS Office Word? You might not have installed it. Double click the font file and hit the install button along the top edge. Restart Firefox and see if it works.

2. Taty

Just a note, which I'm sure is irrelevant, but if you needed to download the font to have it work on your computer and you are using it on your website, that means no one else can see that font on the website either, so basically, however you see it now is how everyone will see it.

• Atomic Kangaroo

Yeah she is saying the font she uses toviewwebpages won't work,not that she has a custom font built into her site. I'm having a similarproblem, but I have mad a website, and am using defualt windows fonts for this reason, problemis firefox is using them, but isn't displaying them correctly like Internet Explorer does, e.g The font Georgia, in IE it appears Bold in FF it isn't bold. Pages used to appear the same in both browsers and I've recently had to reinstall Windows XP and obviouslymy browsers,not sure why it's doing it.

I recently updated to 3.5 and I found that it automatically urged me to choose a persona. This might be because I already used 'personas' but if not, it means all are asked the same.
    did you choose a 'persona'? Check your add-ons. If it is in there, then disable and see if that fixes things as it might override other settings.
    Just a guess!! ;-{

Hi Andy,
      I had the problem before I added a persona. Disabling it didnt make any difference.
      But thanks!!

Just to clarify, >>>>>" on Firefox -> Tools -> Options -> Content -> click Advanced (in Fonts and Colors) -> uncheck “allow pages to use their own font”." <<<<<
    Ive made sure that allow pages to use their own font is Not Checked. This is one of the first things one must do, to use their own font for websites, so Im well aware of it.

No, Ive made sure that button is not checked. But thanks. I might note, I did email Firefox and they said, that as long as the font was loaded into Windows 7, it should show up in Firefox's newest version, but it doesnt!
    Ive also tried every type of Character encoding, this didnt work either.

6. Saikat Basu

Could it be that the Allow Pages to Choose Their Own Fonts is checked under Options and that is overriding your font selection.

second that:

on Firefox -> Tools -> Options -> Content -> click Advanced (in Fonts and Colors) -> uncheck “allow pages to use their own font”.