How can I find out who wrote a review of my business on Yelp?

Donna Jackson April 16, 2012

I have a Yelp review that is damaging and fabricated. I suspect it was left by a competitor, whose name and e-mail address I have. We have tried to work through Yelp, and sent a message to this person, which no response. I believe it was done with a proxy e-mail account that was probably closed after writing the review. Is there a way to find the person’s identity?

1. jhpot

If this was the work of a competitor, that's awful. You'll probably never be able to find out who wrote the review in question. But don't panic: there's a chance it could go away.

Does the username have other reviews on the site? Is it still in use? If not, Yelp might automatically push it down with time; they tend to give preference to reviews from people who use Yelp consistently.

Anger is tempting, but you're going to get the best results by fighting fire with water. Get in touch with your loyal customers, and show them what happened. Ask if they'll leave reviews for you—especially if they're already loyal Yelpers. Your customers are not going to like seeing your good name defamed, so appealing to them to help is a realistic option. Their happiness will push down the poison until it's no longer noticeable, assuming your awesome enough to inspire such passion.

Are you not awesome? Become awesome and your reviews will improve.

2. bara jag

I do hope there is no way for you to find the person’s identity. Why not do it the proper way: answer the person on the site in a polite way. In social media like Yelp communication is open to public! If you do it in the right way you might win a lot of new costumers 

3. anon

No