How can I find words by their definition?
Question by Kim /

I have a homework assignment in language. It is a crossword, but it only gives us the definition plus we don’t get a word bank. I don’t want to go through the whole dictionary. Does anyone know the answer or at least of a place that can help me? I really need help! Thank you so much! :)

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , .
Awesome Webs & Tips
Awesome Webs & Tips
Stay Incognito On The Web
Stay Incognito On The Web
Deep Web Communities
Deep Web Communities
Online Security Tips
Online Security Tips
Music Apps & Sites
Music Apps & Sites
Tips for Privacy Obsessed
Tips for Privacy Obsessed

• Rishi1592

TINA you are always perfect answer for me
    your answer is always write
    thnkxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• William Brand

I know this is an old question but one trick you could use is Google's ability to search by domain. For example, we know Merriam Webster's site is merriam-webster.com so just type "site:merriam-webster.com" and then your search phrase.

Here's an example search where I'm looking for words related to intelligence, and I can go through pages to quickly see sharp, cerebral, intellectual, highbrow, etc. You get a lot of antonyms too, but it's a good way to quickly get a list of words.

• Kim

Tina thank you so much. I really needed that. I appreciate it

Kim,

did you try to search the definition you were given on Google? Put it into "quotation marks" and it might lead you straight to the respective word. Worth a try!

You should also check out OneLook Reverse Dictionary: http://www.onelook.com/reverse-dictionary.shtml