How can I find out my Windows XP administrator password?
Question by Surya /

How can I know my administrator password in Windows XP without cracking or resetting it?

• Dimharos

Well i try…but nothing seems to work. Mind that i can logged only llike  a simle user (not power) so i can’t download and instal any software to do the job from me!
    So i still need heeeelp!

• Meimei

You can remove the admin password of your locked computer then you can logon as administrator. Infact, there are lots of methods can do this task.
    Free way just like:
    1. Log on your computer by using built-in Administrator account in safe mode, its password is default blank if you never change it. So that you can use it to change all other user password.2.Use a password reset disk if you have already created.3.If the methods above are unavailable,you can use a password tool to crack it.A useful tool just like Windows Password Rescuer can perfectly solve this problem.You also can use it to create a new administrator account without login then you can logon directly with the new account.
    If your system is Windows 7/vista/xp,you can use “Windows Password Rescuer Personal/Professional’.

• Zhuliya622

On start up (before Windows loads) keep tapping either F5 or F8 (be aware that some manufacturers use F8 for system recovery!) then use arrow keys to highlight ‘Safe Mode’ and hit Enter/Return, click on a user account, enter the Administrator password (if you don’t know it, there probably isn’t one so leave it blank) and hit Enter/Return.
    If that doesn’t work, try Windows Password Key which considered as the best tool to reset administrator and user passwords on all versions of windows including Windows7, Vista, XP, 2008, 2003 and 2000.

• Nemo Demi

1) This sometimes works In Widows XP. At login instead of clicking on you pic and typing your password. Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and you will a different login screen, you may need to do this more then one time. At the login prompt type administrator as the user and leave the password field blank and hit Enter. You will then be logged in with the administrator account. Go into the control panel and go into User Accounts and select your account and change your password, also change the administrator password while your there. 

2) Anther way is to fix this is to reinstall Windows. You need a Windows CD, recover disk, or some other way to install widows. This works one of 2 ways. 
    The recover CD will put your system back to how it was when you bought it. Warring make sure you select the option to keep your files intact or not to reformat if you want to keep your files. The safer way is with the Windows CD. 
    The Win CD will let you install anther copy of windows on your hard drive. You can have many copies of Windows on the same partion, I know because I have done this. You will lose some space on your HD but you will still be able to access your files and programs. I would do a backup and do clean install after that, but it is up to you. Both of these methods take some time. 

3) This method needs a 2nd Windows machine. On the 2nd PC right click ‘My Computer’. Then select Manage. On the left pane right click ‘Computer Management (local)’. Then select ‘Connect to anther computer’. Select ‘Anther computer:’ and type in the name of the computer your locked out of. If you select ‘browse’ it will help you search if you need help. 
    Ether a new window will open up or the left pane where it says ‘Computer Management (local)’ will change to ‘Computer Management (The name of your other machine)”. From you go to ‘Local Users and Groups’ and find your account and reset your password. Then you will be able to log in to your PC. If your PCs are not in the same group this might not work. 

4) Also does anyone have an account on your machine other then you? if so use there account to reset yours. 

• Tony Austin

I have recently bought a second-hand computer from a store. But when it starts up, it requires me to type the administrator password, and it makes me quite disappointed!

Eventually I have managed to reset the administrator password using a password reset boot CD from

I suggest you post this as a new question. Otherwise you might not get an answer because the question here is quite old.

• Susan

The first thing which you check if you forget login password. When we install Windows, it automatically creates an account “Administrator” and sets its password to blank. So if you have forget Your user account password then try this:
    Start system and when you See Windows Welcome screen / Login screen, press ctrl+alt+del keys Twice and it’ll show Classic Login box. Now type “Administrator” (without quotes) in Username and leave Password field blank. Now press Enter and you should be able to log in Windows.
    Now you can reset your account password from “Control Panel -> User Accounts”.
    Same thing can be done using Safe Mode. In Safe Mode Windows will show this in-built Administrator account in Login screen.

Windows XP and further versions also provide another method to recover forgotten Password by using “Recover Disk”. If you created a Password Recovery Disk in Past, you can use that disk to reset the password. To know more about It, please visit

thanks for sharing
    i have used windows password recovery 6.0
    it work like a charm
    anyone have lost you windows password can have a try!

• hibenias60

This sounds pretty interesting. We used a similar software at my tech support job a few years ago. Called “Windows Password Key 8.0″.
    It works very prefect to regain your password .Also use boot CD/DVD.
    I have download it from this website:

there is no way to simply look up a forgotten Windows administrator password. The only way to regain access to the administrator account is to crack or reset the password.

Note that there is a difference between cracking and resetting a password!
    Cracking means that you find out what the password is.
    Resetting on the other hand means that you clear the old password and replace it with a new password, without knowing or finding out what the old password was.

That said you might be interested in these articles: