How can I find out why Windows 7 is crashing?

Ray March 12, 2010

Twice in last week I have returned to my PC to find it had rebooted and left that message indicating it had recovered from a unrecoverable error.
How can I find out why this has started.
Not much has changed, but 7 updates did come down.

Finally experienced it crashing this morning. The mouse started misbehaving, so I opened the resource monitor. Nothing going on. But mouse would not move smoothly, so I decided to just reboot, the noise that window makes when shutting down was very perverted. Rebooted and back to normal now.

I remember it doing this while listening to music, when the sound started to buzz. This was before I upgraded my video board, so that is not what is causing it.

Still looking so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know

As an update, I did delete and reinstall all video drivers, and no problems for a month.

Thanks a lot for the update Ray!

I installed and ran the whocrashed program. It gave me Bug Check 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. Among lots of other stuff that said nothing. I googled this error and found many posts. Seems as though the details are not determinable from the crash dump. But did notice several people who were having graphics driver issues yeilding the same message.

Several weeks ago I installed an brand new graphics card. I used the most current x64 driver downloaded from the vendor.

Alas, this happens when nothing else is going on. when the machine is just sitting there waiting for me to come back. It has not crashed while using it.

The card is a Radeon HD 5770 1GB PCIe.

So funny, yet a challenge. Will keep researching it, and let you know if I find anything.

Thank you. I searched it, but to many responses, and most were irrelevant to my question. I really love this site, and constantly recommend it.

4. Steve Campbell

Ray,

I've heard of a utility you can look into called WhoCrashed. You can find it here:

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

I have personally never used this program but maybe it will work for you. In my opinion, it is probably best if you just do a clean reinstall of Windows 7. Saves a lot of headaches!