Where can I find this strategy game called Rhino?

Mike Budd September 5, 2011

I loaded from a magazine (took all night) a game called Rhino – a strategy game. Up to 20 hidden Rhinos would chase you as you crossed the screen. Can anyone help me to find it please?

1. mike budd

Thanks Mulder

2. mike budd

Thanks for your response Mulder
    OK can't help much.  It was in the 1980s and it was in a computer magazine of the time off the shelves at WH Smiths - we loaded it on to a Commodore 64 - that's as much as I know.
    You had to travel from the bottom of the screen to the top one step at a time, straight or diagonally through a sort of maze and Rhinos were lurking behind rocks and once you were "spotted" they tried to cut you off. You started with 1 hidden randomly (similar to battleships & cruisers) and built up to 20. You had to outrun and outwit them by using the groups of rocks. I once had 20 chasing me but got home.  Great game !

• Mulder

Well, according to this Wikipedia entry (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/List_of_Commodore_64_games), there was no game by the name of Rhino. The Commodore 64 used a version of BASIC for programming, but it also supported Assembly language, among others, so if you have a development environment for your those on your system, you might try that, if you haven't already.

Otherwise, unless you've got the money to pay an experienced developer to convert the code for Mac or Windows and modernize it, or can do it yourself, I'd say you need to find a Commodore 64 if you want to play it.

• janetrose

The was definitely a commodore 64 game called Rhino, because it was it was a lot of fun to play. I'd love to find an emulator version.

3. Mulder

Your question is too vague. How about telling us what magazine this was in, the complete name, the company that developed the game, and how old it is?