Can you help me find software to complete my hiking eBook?

aa3c5077ebfb2ee5392dd64d1a7995e2 August 24, 2012

I am looking for software (Windows or Mac) to download GPS data to computer and then put it into an eBook. I am working on a hiking eBook and would like to have elevation plot, track and topography maps.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out!

1. Tony Batty

Irshaad, thanks for that post I would love to try that since we are trying to do Crime Mapping of crime scenes using GPS readings in our country and it would come in handy, now I hope that it is compatible with my phone. Will most urgently spread this info in my office and have a go at it.

2. Irshaad Abdool

use Garmin Navigation Softwares for mobile phone. pin the points u want and syncronise it with the desktop version of the software

3. Irshaad Abdool

You're going to want to use Google Maps and install the Google Earth plugin. The precise information that you're seeking is available there, although you will have to poke around a bit to get what you're looking for.

You can directly extract GPS coordinates (lat, long and elevation) from Google Earth. This website has a lot of the coordinate information available with less poking around. Unfortunately, if you wanted that included in an ebook, you're going to need to manually input it.

There's plenty of software that can be used to create an ebook. You can even use Microsoft Word or Publisher to create a digital book. There's also quite a bit of free software that will do the trick as well, such as Scribus. Scribus is easily the best out of the free publishing software though. Good luck!

5. Lisa Santika Onggrid

Or you can use Google Earth then copy-pasting it to your book.

Although I don't have much knowledge about hiking,you can use these two software mentioned below to extract GPS data and then you can use it to copy paste it into your eBook.

EasyGPS -

http://www.easygps.com/

GPSBabel -

http://www.gpsbabel.org/