How can I find out the serial number of Microsoft Office that I purchased last year?
Question by Shannon Peter /

I have recently gotten my laptop back from a local computer repair company in which they needed to reinstall Windows for my serial number was not legal.

They did now reinstall my Microsoft Office, but put it in a folder and told me I had to download it. I downloaded it, however, I do not have the serial number for when I purchased it 1/2010 online. I have no idea where the old email would be.

I can see the original date of setup, Fri. Jan. 8th, 2010. Please advise what are my options. THANK YOU!

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

Hello, can you tell me a little bit more about the office files that were left in a folder?  Are they files from your old office setup?  I do believe if you contact Microsoft and provide your name and any information for validating your registration, they might be able to recover the info.  I would tell them that you had a repair shop reformat computer because of viruses or a bad hard drive and that is way you lost your license for it.  Also if possible, let them know you are not using the email account any more, but provide the email address for identification purposes. 

What email service were you using? Was it a web base email like google, yahoo, etc? or were you using a client like thunderbird, outlook, etc with your email account provided with your internet account?  If you were using outlook, have you checked if there is any .pst files in the folder the repair shop left?  If there is, you might be able to recover with your new installation.  Anyways, give some feedback to see what happened…just leave personal information out.

Hello, Did you register the program with microsoft before or just activate it?  If you registered the program before, you could call microsoft and they might be able to retrieve your information with your registration.  If you just activate it, that option is not there anymore.  Only option is to sort through your documents or emails for your license key. 

• Shanpeter

I do believe i registered it for i downloaded the software online through Microsoft. also i no longer have the email account i did when i purchased it

well once the windows is reinstalled then means that all info are lost unless its repair/reinstal or upgrade.

Try Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder and see if after scan can find your microsoft office serial
    http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Product key
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

• Jeff Fabish

If her hard drive has been reformatted, won’t these tools be useless? 

Shannon, if you know what email you used to purchase Office, just use the email provider’s search function. Search for ‘Microsoft’, ‘Office’, ‘Thank You’, ‘Key’, etc.

as i mentionned if windows is reinstalled like clean instal and all info are lost then the above tools will not help. Now if its kind of upgrade instal that means dont touch windows docs/programs then possible to retreive back license info.

• Victor Ong

Not unless a cloud email was used.  In that case, all the emails are stored online.