Where can I find a replacement mainboard for my hard drive?

Julie Kadas May 8, 2012

I have a 320G Western Digital hard drive which experienced a power surge some years ago. I have 300GB of data that is not visible once I switched out the hard drive’s ‘motherboard’ in an effort to get the drive to spin up. I was not able to find the exact same circuit board to replace the blown out one with.

The drive will spin up with the replacement board, but I can only see the 20GB portion that has no data on it (the end of the drive.) I have 300GB worth of trapped data that I would like to be able to have access to. Does anyone know where I can get an exact duplicate of the circuit board that came with the hard drive or how to repair/redefine the geometry of the new board so I can see and use the data that is on the first 300GB of the drive?

The information for the board and the drive is below. The OS was originally Windows XP and the last time the drive was accessible was in 2006. Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide.

Hard drive ‘motherboard’ information:
S/N: 1130916
29-JUL-2005
2061-70136-B00 AD
XS 2N08 1QHA 7 0001020 3021

Hard drive case information:
DCM: DSBHCAJCA
WESTERN DIGITAL
WD CAVIAR WD3200
SERIAL ATA
PARAMETERS: LBA 625142448
WD P/N: WD3200JD-00KLB0

1. zeeshan khan

You'll have to look up the same model in and online store like amazon.com!

2. Kyem Ghosh

Yes find a drive for the same model/configuration you are using especially the firmware... But I don't think u can get it easily from your local market!!! You should have searched in 2006 itself!!!! search ebay for old hard drives and obviously chk out the firmware cz a same model can have different version of firmware... so be careful about the firmware...

• Julie

Kyem,

Thank you for your reply. I did search in 2006 but came up empty handed. Gave up after many months and am finally ready to take up the task again. I appreciate your input and will begin my search today with your recommendations.

• Kyem Ghosh

For now, I just hav to tell u best of luck!!!!

FYI the correct term is "hard drive controller" :-)

I believe your best chance is to look for an equivalent drive at best from the same production cycle and firmware

Found the following but can't give you any guarantee or details about the drive offered.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Y11NEW/

• Julie

HI Mike,

Thank you for the correction. I do have a Western Digital drive that I used to swap hard drive controllers and that is how I initially got the drive to spin up again, but the firmware was the problem. How do I determine which firmware I need? I am assuming it is part of the information I included above but which part designates what firmware I need?

Thank you for your help.

• Julie

All!

Based on the help and suggestions I received to my request I can recommend the following as a start for anyone with the same issue:

http://www.hdd-parts.com/wd-caviar.html

Of course, you will want to choose your HD manufacturer (on the left) but it is still a very good start.

Thanks Kyem and Mike for your help!!!