Can I use find and replace in Word to remove phrases from a document?

Piseth Mao March 21, 2012

In Microsoft Word, is it possible to find “text1″[number]”text2”? I have a few phrases with a mixture of text and number. For example, Size: 123 MB, Size: 3865 MB. The number in between Size and MB always changes. My purpose is to remove all the phrases with this format all at once by using find and replace all feature.

you can try some freeware?
    Word Batch Replacer
    http://www.doctohtml.com/other_products.html

2. Karkala Nayak

Hello,

In your case, you can Find text1?[number]“text2? formats like this

Go to Find or Replace option

A window will open. In that window.

If you don't see the Use wildcards check box, then click More.

Select the Use wildcards check box.

In the Find What box. Type the Following:

Size: * MB

If you want to replace the item, enter what you want to use as a replacement in the Replace with box.

Click Find Next, Replace, or Replace All

Check the attached image to understand what I am saying.
    http://i.imgur.com/vIkgX.jpg

Just zoom your browser to see the image if you find it difficult to see

• Piseth Mao

Dear Friend,

You are amazing! You've just saved me from deleting one by one on a 300 page article with around 1000 phrases like this.

• Karkala Nayak

Glad to hear my instructions helped you and also saved your precious time. :) 

{ Also a thought popped up in my mind regarding the wildcard feature thought I would share it..wildcards feature is that one feature in MS word which is very useful and amazing if one knows how to use it. Most people lack the knowledge on How exactly wildcards work and knowing what exactly they are used for and hence they end up getting stranded when situation like yours come. They end up wasting time, deleting one by one(just like you said) while they could be using the wildcard feature. Just hoping this question and its answer[s] reaches those stranded people who are still looking for a solution with a similar question like yours...MUO is really doing a great job. Providing a question-answer based platform. Kudos to MUO..}
        :)