How can I find out if somebody is trying to remotely control or hijack my PC?

Foad Adnani August 28, 2012

I’m worried someone has put some files in my hard disk in order to remotely access my PC.

I see too many of these characters in my port addresses “*” and i think someone can trace me easy. I want to know if this is indicative of a hijack and whether or not it is harmless or not.

Thanks.

1. Abba Jee

Internet security software and a good firewall can inform you if someone trying to connect you through backdoor or even running a brute force to crack

2. Areeb Majeed

TCP View from Microsoft

3. Irshaad Abdool

the same old trick , look for ports that you do not know and close them

4. Amit Sinha

use Norton Internet Security or McAfee Antivirus.

It tracks who is accessing your pc.

I recommend McAfee

5. Irshaad Abdool

look for unusal open ports and weird-named processes being launched from nowhere.
    Also, open your REgistry editor, go to current_user >> Software >> Microsoft >> Windows >> Run ; and look for software/scripts that launch upon windows start. remoe those you do not recognise. be careful though!

6. Foad Adnani

a screenshot from tcpview

http://i46.tinypic.com/2qm1y6a.gif

7. muotechguy

A screenshot would be helpful. Short answer: a bunch of asterisks in TCPView is quite normal.

• Foad Adnani
      • muotechguy

Looks normal to me. Is 10.64.0.4 your router/firewall? It must be , it's an internal IP.

I think that is still the local machine. Multi-homed? It'd be easier to tell if the Resolve names option was turned on.

8. Reý Aetar

Open the task manager and check for any abnormal process check startup programmes , check the apps that are whit listed in your firewall and see the network monitor for abnormal behaviour ,,
    if you notice anything unexpected then maybe you are in trouble

9. Burhan Ahmed

there is a utility called netstat. it gives you complete details of the Connections made to and from your computer

• Foad Adnani

yeah but .. i want program to diconnect the ips but keep make new way

10. Charles Pradeep

there are thousands of softwares that respond to those '*'.first of all:Are u afraid that someone is taking remote connection of ur pc??if so go to task manager ,click the tab"users". If someone is taking remote connection,it ll be in ur users list

11. VictorGeis

I'm sorry this comment is going to be helpful for you but for people running Macs, there is an app called Little Snitch that tells you if an app is sending information out. It's a nice little catch if someone is running something in the background, sending information out.

• Foad Adnani

do yo know software for win !?

It would be extremely helpful to know WHERE you are seeing these asterisks. What command or utility are you running to view this (there are hundreds of possibilities and we can't cover them all in a response to something like this).

• Foad Adnani

in process svchost with tcpview so easy but i cant block it

13. venkatp16

where you are seeing this *??

• April Eum

can those be asterisk as in someone keylogging/password protecting from intercepting the keylog?

• Foad Adnani

have a tcpview from microsoft ... monitor me all port ip in their actions