How can I find out how much RAM I need?
Question by Ramesh Kumar /

Is there a way to calculate how much RAM one needs?

Wow, such long and helpful answers! I think the easiest way to answer this question is: you need more RAM. What was that? You already have Xgb? Oh yeh, you need more then. Yep, more. 

• Ramesh Kumar

@everyone:twitter , thanks a ton for guidance. Agreed the determinants of calculating RAM requirement are are – OS, games, no. of apps one predicts one would run simultaneously & motherboard.  I have XP Professional with 2GB Ram. I have 160 apps. Some processes run always in the backround; other processes run only when invoked. Yes I tried to calculate based on link given by ha14. I tried the
      Autodesk Revit 2011 example but deciding whether the divisor should be 20 or something else was difficult to figure out. 

I tried to figure out from Anvir Task Manager by looking at Memory Usage & Page File usage. These figures vary from second to second so I screenshot them. I know that these figures do not reflect apps which are unopened & apps which do not run in the background. 

This pc is standalone. CPU is Intel (R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4700 @ 2.60Hz; Motherboard manufacturer is Dell Inc., Model 0RY007

Since Anvir gives me Memory Usage do I just add Memory Usage,
      keeping in mind  the 4 determinants & that it cannot exceed the RAM ceiling set by the motherboard?

• Johnbgoodie

Keep in mind to that XP is 32-bit so you can only get up to 3GB of usable memory. DDR2 is pretty cheap. I would recommend maxing it out. Get 2 x 2GB sticks, so that the ram will run in dual channel. ( should give you about 3.2GB usable memory, you want to run DDR2 with 2 sticks the same size so it will actually run faster )

If that still isn’t enuff, consider moving to windows 7 (64bit) then you will only be restricted to the amount of memory the motherboard supports ( probably 4GB or 8GB )

Hello, sometimes it also depends on how much your motherboard can handle.  If you have a computer which is older (4/5 years), most motherboards could handle only 2 GB of RAM.  If you have recent model, 4GB is the norm.  Of course if you computer came installed with a 64 bits operating system you can usually add more than 4GB of memory.  Tell you what, post your motherboard model and manufacturer and we could give you a better answer.

Have a look here it may give you an idea depending what you would like to run
    Calculate How Much RAM Memory You Need for Autodesk Revit 2011

using Performance Monitor to check the status of the memory counters for “available bytes” and “pages/sec,” the logical disk counters for “% disk time” on the drive that holds pagefile.sys, and Server “pool nonpaged failures” as well as “pool paged failures.”

• Jeffery Fabish

And the vaguest question goes to, Ramesh! 

It depends on your operating system, applications you use, if you play games, etc.Microsoft suggests 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit) for Windows 7.
    Microsoft suggests 1 gigabyte (GB) of system memory (512 megabytes (MB) for Vista Home Basic)
    Microsoft suggests At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended) for XP

That’s just to run the basic operating system.

Intense gamers usually need at least 4gb’s of ram total. 
    Video/Photo editors usually want a 64 bit system with at least 8 gb’s of ram.

If you’re just viewing websites, saving smaller documents, small tasks, you’ll be fine with what Microsoft suggests for ram.