How can I find out who is behind the proxy?

John June 18, 2010

How is it possible to find who is behind proxy? Is there anyway to find it out? If yes, there are several types of proxies (elite , anonymous , transparent etc.) . Does this method work for all of these types?

Depending on the proxy service, the only way is to contact the proxy and ask them - but I doubt they will give it to you.

What's the reason why you asked this question? We may be able to solve your issue another way.

I assume you are referring to a web proxy. There is no direct way of finding out who is behind the proxy (that's one of the reasons for the existence of proxies, after all!), but if you are running a web site and want to know the IP address of your visitor, you can run a little Java script which will extract the local address from their machine and send it to your site.

3. Lucas Wittwer

One that I found that works very well is whois.net