Why does the Find My Phone app say it is “Pending Action?”

Karen Horton March 2, 2012

My daughter’s phone was stolen so we locked it. But now the Find My Phone app says it is pending action. Can we track the stolen phone?

formatting phone can also be a cause for this message. 

Sorry to hear that Karen, it sounds like the thief knew what they were doing - turned off the phone and removed the SIM card before the lock action could be received, which is why it's still "pending". There's nothing you can do about it, and Apple cannot help either. 

Report the crime, and claim on the insurance, but don't expect to police to be able to get the phone back. 

Your best option is to contact Apple support but the most likely answer is that you can't.

In general "pending action" is usually solved by disabling (removing) any "Find My Phone" settings from the iPhone itself which means deleting any mobileme and "me.com" accounts which obviously isn't an option for you.

The most likely explanation I have for your "Pending Action" is that once the phone was locked whoever found/has it reset it to factory defaults using iTunes. This obviously results in "Find My Phone" no longer being configured on it.