Did I find the personal information of a previous owner on my Smartphone?

Lisa August 29, 2010

I bought a Smartphone from a friend. While browsing through the internet, I went to History and it showed Location Finder with a person’s name and address. Was this the previous owner or an item that had been looked up before? Also, after calling Customer Care, they verified that was the owner before me, but isn’t that info restricted?

1. Amrosemary43

Thank you both. Nice to know that and will pass it on. Lisa

2. Ryan Dube

Hey Lisa - yes, this is actually more common than people think. Many people don't realize that using a SmartPhone is a lot like using a computer - with a lot of personal information stored in local memory. Josh's advice is good - anyone selling a used SmartPhone should *always* reset the device back to factory settings and wipe out all data stored on the phone and/or the memory card.

3. Josh Fox

Finding personal information of a phone or any other technology product that can store such information is very possible when it's received from a previous owner. The previous owner should have taken that into consideration and reset the device and cleared all personal information, but not everybody does. If you feel that you are violating their privacy, you could take it into your own hands to reset it yourself. Anything you have added yourself will be lost as well, so be prepared to put everything back in if you go this route. Using a partial backup could save you some time if you decide to do this.