Where can I find people willing to work on a charity website for free?

Radie February 9, 2011

I have a pretty great idea for a website that could benefit many charities. I don’t want to make a single cent on this project, I just want to make some sort of difference and I think I have an idea that can do that. Problem is that I am pretty poor and pretty clueless as to how to go about doing something like this.

Is there any site that help pair up people for a project like this? (That’s a website idea in it’s own right.) For what it’s worth, I would need someone who knows how to utilize the Twitter API. That is the sort of help I need.

1. orehovoemaslo

Please provide more details regarding you great idea, as well as, breif description of the tech. specifications you would like for your website to have.

2. Paul Adams

To put your articles or blogs is a great idea to gather people who want to do charity related work. I don't think there is any website who help in pairing people to do this...
    nonprofit organization

3. Osama

http://www.microworkers.com try this website to find potential workers

4. Llanmorgan

Try this one, their job is making websites for charities --> http://www.torchbox.com/

5. Jocelyne

charityvillage.com? not sure if you already need a charitable organization number to post there, though.

6. Joseph

The biggest problem of setting up a website is the hosting. Who, where and how much. Those things need to be addressed. There are alot of sites/hosters that you can use to do a blog/info style but have to use their format, which in some cases is better. And if you have any extra files that you want to be accessible from the site will have to be hot linked or placed with another site. The other thing is how to manage the content and who will manage the content. I personally prefer a database backed website. It allows me to have a static format will the data/content is dynamic. The hard part is building the administrative side to the site. As far as where to find people that are willing to do work for free, I do not know, but if you look towards Linux, you will find help, for free.

Personal Plug: I build database based web-applications (intranet sites) for several companies, that allows them to get away from being plugged into vendor specific sourcing. My only public site is http://www.tjda.us which is databased based, though.

What sort of work are you talking about? I have some basic web design skills and would be glad to help you out

Radie,

try Sparked! Angela recently wrote an article about it: Volunteer Professional Skills To Charity In 5 Minutes With Sparked

• Will Radie

This is definitely a great site (and one I plan on using) but this isnt exactly what I was looking for. I worry that while the focus on the tasks being quick is a great idea, it works against me here.

I suppose I could go digging through the site though.. I am sure some people on there would also be willing to work on something a bit more substantial.