How can I find out whether an online store is legit?

someone September 26, 2011

I came across cyberpowerpc.com in a Google search for custom computers and I’m wondering if it’s a legit company. I made a nice custom computer on their site for a good price and really want to order it, but figured I would try to find out as much as I can about them before completing the order. So have any of you guys ordered from them or know someone who has? Thanks!

1. someone

Thank you guys for your answers. I'm going to definitely check out the dell suggestion. But if anything I think they're pretty legit. I saw a few little complaints about them too when I was trying to find out about them. But i figured it was just a few grumpy customers etc. Plus I just bought an internet service from a company I never heard of before and I saw some complaints online and i was thinking maybe I shouldn't get it. But then I saw other people who were satisfied and then i saw articles saying that that company is backed by google, sprint, etc. So yeah its a pretty legit company it just has some people who complained for whatever reason. Same thing as cyberpowerpc but I guess we'll find out.

First, search google for related terms. I did a search "cyberpowerpc scams", "cyberpowerpc complaints", there were a few results that were suspicious.

RipOffReport - CyberPowerPC,
    PCWorld - CyberPowerPC is A Borderline Scam
    lyberty - CyberPowerPC Complaints
    CyberPowerPC.com Complaints & Reviews
    TheBubbler - Beware of CyberPowerPC

I wouldn't say this is indicative of a scam, maybe just a few upset users running a smear campaign. Most other complaints related to the computer not being what it said as advertised.

I then search WOT (web of trust) for a reputation rating on cyberpowerpc.com, which turned out to be excellent. I also did a reputation scan with IPVoid, which also did not raise any flags.

Finally, I did a WHOIS search on cyberpowerpc, nothing abnormal with the domain registration.

My opinion: Save your money and spend a little extra on a credible company, such as Dell. They also let you customize a computer to your liking.

3. Susendeep Deep

Although you can ask themselves too by contacting them.Scroll down to to more information about them.A legit site also has secured certificate displayed by the browser's address bar.

Did you saw a secured certificate when you were placing orders to them?

According to the link below they say -

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/cart/showcart.aspx

"Shopping with us is secure! To protect your
    transaction, we use GeoTrust's service and 128-bit Secure Sockets Layer
    (SSL) technology, thereby offering the highest level of encryption or
    security possible. We also have our website's security checked daily to
    ensure it meets the highest published government standards. This means
    you can rest assured that communications between your browser and this
    site's web servers are private and secure, and your personal information
    is also stored securely in our server."