Where can I find material for a database of questions and answers?

Ross February 15, 2011

I’m working on a Java program inspired by a Star Trek scene when a computer drills Spock with random questions.

The program accesses an SQL database of questions, and uses FreeTTS to ask them to the user. The user inputs their response via the command line (GUI yet to come).

In theory, this is pretty awesome, but I need a database of questions. I have a bunch of Quiz Bowl and Science Bowl questions, but they’re on paper, and I don’t really want to type them all in. So, does anyone know where I can find a reasonably sized database of questions and answers? Any format is fine, I can import it to the SQL.

1. Ross

That sounds much nicer - I'll be on the lookout for the article. Thanks!

2. Mark O'Neill

Or if you find questions, get a transcription software and speak the questions into a microphone and let the software automatically transcribe them for you. We will shortly be covering such a free software app on MakeUseOf - keep an eye out in the next few days!

3. Ross

I think they send the questions printed in the mail...one of the first questions for getting a quote was "Required Delivery Date." I think I'll just type up enough to get it started, and then scan all the rest and let users type more in. Hopefully I'll find some people with a lot of free time to kill.

I found http://www.triviadatabase.com but I assume they are rather expensive.

5. Ross Dempsey

Thanks Mark, that would be great! If you do find a database, that would be really great, but otherwise I have a feasible idea for letting the users add to the question bank. Thanks again!

6. Mark O'Neill

Unfortunately I can't help you out with finding a database but if you ever get it up and running, let us know here at MakeUseOf and we'll consider writing about it. Your project sounds really cool!

Probably you are going to have to pay for a database. I will look around for you and if I find anything, I'll get back here and let you know.