How can I find a lost hard drive image?

Dave October 26, 2011

I made an image of my hard drive but I do not remember the name and my C: drive went blooey. How can I find the image?

Hi
    Scan your system filepro, the result will be easy to understand, big squares means big files.
    http://www.techishare.com/softwares/filepro-a-free-hard-drive-space-analyzer/

If you have created the disk image by default option, and did not used 3third party software.
    Try option 1 1st, 2 2nd , 3 3rd.

Option 1: Check if control panel shows disk image in the list :

1. go to Control Panel. In the search box, type recovery, and then click Recovery.
    2.  Click Advanced recovery methods.
    3. Click Use a system image you created earlier to recover your computer, and see if your backup image is there in the list or not.

if it is there , your problem is solved.

Option 2 :
    Try to create backup of anything, follow the steps you preformed to create the system image, it may remeber the location you used last time. and you will remember, that you used the location or not.

Option 3 :

Search *.vhd files (virtual hard disk files.)
    it is posible, that the folder containing the vhd files is the folder of the disk image.

--------------------------------------------------------
    if you used third party software.

search for *.iso and *.img files.

Hello, If you made the backup using the backup utility from windows 7, your image should have the same name as your computer.  Windows 7 backup will not let you save and image on same hardrive as your operating system or same partition.  Do you have more than one harddrive in your computer or an external drive?  You can start by looking in the partition you set for backup/images.  Use your computer's name or you can try looking for the folder:  WindowsImageBackup

Which software you used to create an image ?
    if you know the extension of the missing file,
    just search the pc for files with the extension.

For example:
    if you want to search a lost mp3 file,
    type : *.mp3
    select all the drives of your computer to search from.

it will show all the mp3 files, from the selected locations.

If you remember on which drive you saved, then search only that particular drive, for quickly finding the disk image.

so type :
    *. followed by thethe file extension of the disk image file without any space like *.jpg

Also, check to search hidden and system files in the options.

• B A Damm

Thanks Jay but I made an image of the whole hard drive with Windows 7