How can I find the location or address from where a Facebook ID is being used?
Question by Shilpi Shastri /

Someone has made a fake ID of my friend and we want to find from where that ID is being used. The location of the computer from where that ID is being used. Is that possible?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• J Brengus

You have to report it to Facebook. If they believe you than they will delete the fake account. Unfortunately, you cannot figure out the person who is behind it. Even if (big if) Facebook gave you the user’s IP address, you would still have to deal with the ISP. They would never release the customer’s name unless compelled by law.

• Achraf52

You can only verify your friends if they’re not who did it .

• George

If, in copying your friends user name, and if you are sure it is not just someone with the same name, and if by so doing they are causing harm to your friend, then you can get the law to step in, and they can track down the culprit for you. FB would probably comply to a legal request from a legal authority.

If you want to forfeit the legal rout, and if you can get them to go to a link, then yes, you can get the goods on them. You create a page that gets their IP, and also gets their FB user name. These can then be stored to a database, and you just look at your database later to see if you caught your culprit. You will need to look-up their IP using one of the many look up services on the net. You can usually get a general location from the look up. But they also provide you with other information you can use to track them down, such as who registered the IP they are using.

There are ways my friend.

• Kyem Ghosh

I don’t think Facebook gonna share the user’s computer or IP details to you. Its a serious problem of creating a duplicate profile. Moreover its logically not illegal… And I dont think there is no place to to prove original or duplicate profile. This is the only insecurity of social networks, I guess…..

• Osama Javaid

same problem…

• Richard Carpenter

No, You can’t, unless they are using geo tagging and voluntarily give away this info.

The only other legit way is to report it to Facebook,

• George

Have you ever had FB respond to a report?

• Richard Carpenter

I have only had a reason to report someone once, and yes, after a while… But I understand what you are getting at, but they will not respond very well at all to the legal approach, if they actually respond. Also there are also privacy laws to deal with, and basically after a long drawn out process the profile may disappear… then another show up.