How can I find my iTunes backup password?
Question by Karen Dumontet /

When I upgraded my iTunes it started asking me for a backup password and for another password to get to my messages. Can you please help me?

• unknown

try “1234” mine seemed to work with that password,

• Deano

basically send itunes to the recylce bin along with all your apps etc then download itunes once again making sure you connect you iphone via usb then go into recyle bin and click restore this should restore all date but no encryption password <<<<<< this is the method the tech specialist apparently used when i had this problem hope it works.

• Otri2000

ok The Solution to this problem….if u actually havent encrpted password…and u dont know the password..
    then your password is your own NAME…
    just type in your own name and the backup will be decrypted.

• Gsidhurocks

But what if it doesnt work. All my pics and apps and EVERYTHING  will be lost!!

• shane

You are a life saver…… This has finally worked after 4.5 hours of wasting my time reading and trying other suggestions..

Thanks again, may your life be as you wish!

• Hobu

Its does t work

Basically all you can do is test all the passwords you ever used for your Apple ID, iPhone and what not…

The official knowledge article about iTunes and encrypted backups states that if you forgot the password your data is unrecoverable and these [old encrypted] backups are no longer usable.

try possible passwords.
    1. your windows login passowrd (password of your computer)
    2. password of itunes.
    3. password on apple device
    4.password for any app
    5. 12345 or 0000

TRy to remeber the password that you set for anything related to appple store, apps, etc

Based on stories by :

Hello, what device is it that you use with itunes?  Is is an Iphone?  you might try the following:

— disconnect your device
    — reconnect device
    — in itunes, select Restore

— disconnect your device
    — reconnect device
    — if asked to restore from backup or create new, click on cancel
    — do not be surprised if restore
    from backup starts automatically

Also you might try using your screen lock password to see if it works, if nothing else works you might as well try 0000