How do I find and install critical drivers?

Glenda Plank October 31, 2011

My computer says that I am missing critical drivers. How can I verify this and install the right drivers?

Hello, I think you need to provide a little bit more information about your question.  There are two messages that I know of that says something like this, one is shown at startup on a black screen.   If it does, does it say something like this?:

A critical system driver is missing, or corrupt
    Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
    1. Insert your windows installation disk and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language setting, and then click "next."
    3. Click "Repair your computer."

File: windowssystem32drivers********* 

Status: 0x00000000

Note:  * means the name of the driver.  It should be shown there.  It usually has a .sys extension. If this is the message you are getting, it should give you the name and location of the driver, like it shows above.  The driver files are located in the windowssystem32drivers like shown in my example the only thing changing is the name of the driver.  Record the name of the driver and also it is very important that you record the status.  It is an error that you can research.

Have you installed any new hardware or drivers lately?  Is there any chance that the boot up order was changed?  Go into BIOS and make sure that the harddrive where your operating system is set up to start first.This error can also be shown on a bluescreen.  As before, if this is the case, make sure to record the error and any file at fault and then post it here or research it online.  The following link will give you an idea about how to deal with blue screen errors.  The link is for windows 7 but it should apply to vista/xp.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Resolving-stop-blue-screen-errors-in-Windows-7

Without knowing what the specific error is, the only sure way of fixing this is by doing a system repair.  To do that, you will need your installation disk and make sure to keep your license handy. If the error you are getting is not showing at startup or a blue screen and you can boot up to windows normally, I would go to the motherboard's manufacturer and download the drivers for your motherboard.  Download all the drivers that apply to your motherboard and install them according to manufacturer's instructions.  It usually starts with the chipset driver.  As a last thing to try you can also download the BIOS and update it. 

Once that is done, you can use windows update and make sure your system is completely updated

I'm not aware of one such Windows message, can you give us the exact error? Windows will usually install the drivers itself, so this is kind of suspicious. 

Anyway, I get my driver updates (when they are not self-updating) with Slim Drivers.

also possible windows is somehow corrupted and probabily on ly repair or reinstal from windows cd will fix entire problems. Make sure windows is not infected.

5. Mjevolve

> the easiest way is to run the Windows Update .
    click start and type Windows Update and click Enter .
    in the window that opens click on find new updates .
    do this 2 or 3 three times . 
    Windows Would automatically find and download and install any necessary drivers it says its  missing .

> Click Start and then right click on my computer and then click on manage .
    in the window that opens , click on device manager .
    in the new window that would open , look for all the devices which would be marked with an Exclamation mark or where Windows reports drivers missing or driver error . 
    just right click on each of them and then click on Update Drivers .
    and then select " let windows search for the best driver ."

> if you added any new hardware to your computer , and if you have the Instructions / Help CD issued with it , just pop it in and let it run . it too can install any missing drivers  for a new hardware .

> the other option is to run a 3rd party app for finding and downloading drivers .
    i would recommend Slim Drivers (  http://www.driverupdate.net/ ) .
    its free , download it and install it and then run it .
    it would automatically download and install the missing and the latest drivers for all your PC's hardware .

any of these steps should solve your Drivers missing error .
    if it doesnt , just tell , 
    we can try some thing else .