How do I find out who is hosting a website?
Question by Mary Jane Weber /

Mary, I’m going to assume you actually want to know who OWNS a website rather than the specific company that provides website hosting space. This is quite easy actually Mary – once you know WHERE the domain is hosted, there is a separate WHOIS website for each host. For example: will allow you to get detailed information on any site or domain hosted with GoDaddy. Exactly where you should perform this second query will depend upon the first though, I’m afraid. 

You may however find that the owner has decided to pay for additional privacy services where the domain owner is masked behind a tertiary company. In this case, you would need a legal warrant to obtain that information. 

• Gustavo Ibarguengoytia

I have used these two tools before:

I’ve tested both and delivered the same results for the same website.

The first one also offers many other services, some are scary if you are concerned about your private information.

• Gustavo Ibarguengoytia

This is also affected by what Mike is saying. I don’t know of any too available to the public that can tell you were the site is being stored.

Although is a nice tool it’s barely accurate.
    In 2 out of 3 attempts I did it reported back the company hosting the domain only, not the actual website.In general, it’s always hard to say because the company/individual selling the webspace doesn’t have to be the company hosting it (keyword = reseller).Also there is the possibility of a smaller company/individual using server housing, virtual server or root server setups to sell webspace. In those cases a lookup may end up at the data center company offering the housing, root or virtual servers instead of the individual running the webserver and selling the webspace.The best option is to contact the company/individual running the website and ask where they get their webspace from ~ although this doesn’t answer the above you will end up knowing what or who they pay for their service.

you can enter the website URL here and the site will tell you: