How to find the Firefox plugin that is reponsible for changed website layouts?

Gerhard Tinned September 7, 2012

I have Firefox with a kind of long list of plugins. As it seems, one of them is causing troubles on a number of websites.

One of those problems is that here on MakeUseOf, the numbers of the sharing sites (Facebook, Twitter, …) are a few centimeters below the bubble where they should be in.

Another is that when I try to click on the username in Google to log-out or go to the settings, it just opens a new tab instead of opening the menu item.

I am sure it is one of the plugins I have installed that causes that because if I start a Firefox profile without any plugins, everything works perfectly.

Any idea how I can find the problem fast? Maybe without deactivating every plugin and restart Firefox?

1. Gerhard Tinned

Seems that the google logout was something else. Not related to the strange layout. The layout was indeed the wrong font size.

The problem with the login was a setting in the Tab Mix Plus plugin settings.
    In the "Tab Mix Plus" Options go to "Links" the second setting from the bottom called "Force to open in new tab:" was set to "Links to other sites".

When i change that back to none, it starts to behave correctly. SO it seems to be related to this. So i used firebug to check this theory.

It turned out that when you are at the http://www.google.com website and click the username, the link target is (href="https://profiles.google.com/....) pointing to another subdomain. So the configuration must have checked that and opened a new tab. sadly the new tab was showing the profile page instead of giving me the possibility to logout.

Hope that helps!

2. Gerhard Tinned

After hours and hours of searching ... i have figured it out.

I had a strange layout in a lot of websites and the logout inb gmail did not work and many many other things because of a tiny stupid setting in firefox.

It was no extension or addon at the end. It was a setting which i found during scrolling throught the about:config

There is a setting (maybe changeable via the preferences UI) to specify the minimum font size. If this harmless looking setting is not on the default, it can destroy not only minor layout things. It also awoids for some reason the apearance of googles dropdown menu at the username where you have the logout button.

So it is solved ... !!!

• Mike Merritt

Sorry - I'm not a butthead trying to reply to you. I'm just a guy who thinks he can help.
      Firefox changes the size of the on-screen font by holding down the control key and rotating the mouse wheel. Some people - not an expert like you - but some people - may do this by accident and then have the layout problem that you experienced.

3. Gerhard Tinned

People you are sooooo useless with your comments!!!!

I want to find the BAD extenstion ... not install more of those!!!

PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE A COMMENT!!!!

4. Christopher Webb-Orenstein

Go to the developer tools section of the Mozilla add-on repository, there are any you will find them pretty quickly.

5. Gerhard Tinned

Oh perfect .... The only comemts are from beavis and budhead!!!

@Vipul Jain: I know how to deactivate a Add-On, Thanks that was useless!!!

@Ibrahim Nadir: I wrote it already, i search a way do NOT deactivate one by one and check it (means restart in most cases)!

6. Vipul Jain

Tools - Options - Addons.
    Check the addons and then the Extensions as well.

7. Ibrahim Nadir

if you have only a few plugins, try disabling them one by one. Or if you have more than few, then just try to disable one by one that are related to development sort of category. Maybe you can sort it out and find an alternative to that addon/plugin.