How can I find out which Epson Stylus Photo ink cartridge needs to be replaced in Ubuntu?

Larry Pierce October 15, 2012

Printer light advises that it needs a new printer cartridge. The feature of being able to tell which cartridge needs to be replaced is apparently not available for Epson Stylus Photo R280 in Ubuntu. I don’t want to replace all six ink carts. How do I know which one needs to be replaced?

Larry

1. Irshaad Abdool

using the printer's keys, navigate to maintenance. and go to 'Check ink levels'

If you have the space, use Vitual Box to install virtual Windows OS and Epson Utility and Driver package for your printer.

3. Jake McGregor

It's as simple as printing a test sheet-that should tell you exactly what colors are low. Look under printer properties and there should be a print test page option. This can vary a little depending on the GUI installed.

Print a test page using all the colours of your catridges, e.g. one colour for each word, the colour that dosnt print is the one you want.

5. Philbert Desenex

Open the printer and see what cartridges it uses. 9 out 10 times it will be the black one. Replace it first and see if that makes it work.