Where can I find ebooks to sell on ebay?

cd00fc8e63104f9a9b2f4b5d2e02d481 October 14, 2012

I am looking for a bunch of open source ebooks, which are open page or not copyrighted, so I can download and sell without getting in trouble. I have trouble finding them.

1. Ani Weiswasser

There's an incredibly quick & easy way to do what you're trying to do.... First, though, I want to say that selling those discs of ebooks on ebay is incredibly slimy; the types of people who are always selling those things have at best the same sort of reputation as a stereotypical used car salesman does. Furthermore, what you're talking about doing is of course permitted on ebay for the time being at least, but technically you're committing hundreds of counts of copyright infringement with each disc you sell. Some time or another, most likely there will be either a law passed or policy on ebay put into effect banning the sale of such ebooks; there isn't tons of risk in what you're planning, but there IS risk.
    ... So, if you're just trying to make some extra cash, I highly suggest you find another way. If you're really desperate for money, however, I can empathize with your situation & know how limited your options must be. What you'd want to do is not track down hundreds & hundreds of ebooks on the internet & arrange them all in to a compilation; it's not necessary. Just buy one or two discs filled with ebooks off of ebay (if you can afford it, buy a couple), choose the best one, change it around a bit & add a couple things to it, &.... there you go, you're all set.
    Obviously, that tactic isn't entirely ethical, but none of this is.

2. Justin Pot

Doing this is perfectly legal, but generally not kosher if you don't add anything of value. Even worse, however, is asking us to find the books for you. If you're going to sell people free merchandise at least find the books yourself.

3. tiffany kennedy

If you can find out the ebooks easily I think others will do that too. So there is no pointing to sell it on ebay. Because there will be few people buy it.

4. Tarek Ramadan

maybe you mean ebooks with resell rights

http://master-resale-rights.com

5. Tarek Ramadan

better you write your own books and sell it

6. Yosef Maayan

Agave is the best program I've ever seen web color schemes. http://home.gna.org/colorscheme/

• Yosef Maayan

Oops!

7. Yosef Maayan

Gutenberg.org hosts many, many books which are free and in the public domain, try looking around at archive.org for material as well, please make sure to pay attention to any copyright or Creative Commons licenses or the like in order to be sure you have legal resale rights.

You can also try:
    http://fiverr.com/chamoo/provide-thousands-of-free-professional-ebooks-for-you-to-download-to-enjoy-share-give-away-or-sell

http://fiverr.com/providerdomain/give-you-126-ebooks-with-master-resell-rights-you-can-sell-it-given-away-for-free-that-only

A search of fiverr.com should turn up some more as well. In response to everyone who is critical of this question, there are many legitimate reasons to sell ebooks which are otherwise available for free. For example, there are people who do not have regular Internet access or only dial up, they may be interested in purchase large numbers of ebooks at once on disk. One can also take a simple ebooks and convert it to different formats or reformat the text or illustrate it. Adding a linked table of contents and/or index to especially large ebooks could be considered a fine addition to a public domain file for which someone may be interested in buying. Jumping to conclusions that someone is up to something shady when all he wanted was an answer to a simple question is not a good way of promoting community.

8. Drew Butler

Glad to see others feel the same way as I do about this :) ..

9. Harish Jonnalagadda

Yeah I agree, I dont think stuff like that could be sold..

10. Dave Parrack

You might not get in trouble doing this but it's morally wrong to sell something that is out-of-copyright and therefore free to obtain elsewhere.

If something is free and Open Source then Why would anyone even think of getting it by paying for it. Doesn't make sense. I guess Selling an Open source Stuff is Infrigment of Some LAW. A proper answer for your question would be "NOWHERE". :/

This post is unbelievable! You want to download somebody elses work for free and then sell it!
    No help from me, sorry.

• Harish Jonnalagadda

I agree!

13. Adrian Rea

Sorry this kind of practice is sad. All the books that pretend to be full works and then are in fact ripped from wikipaedia leaves a foul taste around. Seeking creative commons works for republishing is underhand and I am sorry to say it but I hope you don't find any to exploit.

• Caroline West

Well said.

14. Imesh Chandrasiri

if it's open source, why should be on sale! just try googling the ebboks and you would find them for free!

15. Alex Downs

Yeah I don't think selling Open source, or assuming you mean Open Domain, books legally. As for when you can find free books with out copyright I mean Kindle and Google Play have a bunch of free books to download.

16. Drew Butler

Why sell stuff that is free?