How can I find duplicate folders in Windows?
Question by Abhijeet /

How can I find duplicate folders in Windows. I do not want to find duplicate files, for that I use DupKiller and Easy Duplicate Finder. My problem is to find duplicate folders.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , ; or ask your own question.

• Dingobro

Prashanth Vakati’s V Folder Dups 1.2.0 WORKS! though you can only search within one master location, not several, so you must move all potential duplicate folders within that.

The softpedia version 1.1.0 to which the previous commenter named “Test” has referred us does NOT successfully delete dupes when they are found, but the new version 1.2.0 which the developer just uploaded 42 hours ago DOES, and the interface is improved since the earlier version. The description by the developer is on his blog at:

http://pvakati.blogspot.com/2010/08/duplicate-folders-freeware-not.html

The download’s at:

http://code.google.com/p/duplicate-folders/downloads/list

Version 1.2.0 is not described in detail on these pages, but after installation, the changes log reads on its About popup:

ISSUES FIXED: – Delete from context menu was not working

• Prashanth V

I am the author of V Folder Dups, I will try to add multiple source selection option in my the next version if possible.So its is lot more flexible that way to search in more than one hard drives.

That’s awesome! Please do leave a note here when the new version is out.

Is your app updated yet? to support multiple drives or UNC Paths to find the duplicate folders?

• Worthington

clone tools 2.0 looks like the best option right now (I am having same issue), but this is not free…..

• jo

I am also looking for a program to find duplicate folders not files.
    Didi you people find anything?
    Thanks,
    Jo

Abhijeet,

did Taty’s suggestion answer your question? Did you manage to find your duplicate folders this way? Or did you come across another method? Please share!

• Taty

Hi Abhijeet
    Windows has downloads for dupfinder you can use. If you have xp, you can download the tools from the microsoft website:
    http://bit.ly/8Hk45j
    Open the Run dialog box by pressing [Windows]R.
    Type Dupfinder in the Open text box and click OK.
    Once DupFinder loads, simply select the drive or folder to search and then click the Start Search button.
    When DupFinder completes its search, you can scan through the list and examine the duplicate files. They are sorted by folders, so it’s easy to tell which folders are repeated.
    You can also print.

Hey Abhijeet,

Same here, I wasn’t’ able to find anything free. I am not sure if that is going to help you in any way but I discovered a free utility called WinMerge that can be used to compare the contents of folders.

Abhijeet,

I wasn’t able to find a free tool. My search only came up with several shareware options, but I guess you found these also.