How can I find out the condition of my CMOS battery and how do I know it’s weak?
Question by Sahil /

How can I find out the current condition of my CMOS battery in my desktop computer, a HP Compaq SR5060IL?

Num Lock gets off while entering the password for user and also time gets changed frequently.

Thus I suspect the CMOS battery is weak. If not, how do I check it and why does Num Lock turn off at the time of entering password and why does only the time change, not the date?

I am dual booting between XP and Ubuntu. I have a virus free computer as I am using Avast Pro in XP. Linux does not have any type of virus.

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , .
Raspberry Pi Projects
Raspberry Pi Projects
Computer Hardware Talk
Computer Hardware Talk
Technology Explained
Technology Explained
Arduino Projects
Arduino Projects
Cool Toys and Gadgets
Cool Toys and Gadgets
Apple Hardware Discussion
Apple Hardware Discussion
Wearable Tech
Wearable Tech

Answer (1)
  • Jack Cola

I've only had to replace that battery once, and my computers a fairly old. I am not sure of any program to check, but if you think it's weak, why don't you replace it.

But if it is dead, I would presume your BIOS settings would be erased and your clock would be reset, and your computer would beep at you.

If you want to test it, if your computer doesn't tell you the levels, take it out and test it yourself.

This page might help you http://www.ehow.com/how_5011717_check-cmos-battery.html