Where can I find complaints about companies?

Maria December 18, 2011

Are there other websites besides the Better Business Bureau to view complaints against a company?

Hello, there is other kind of known site named Ripoff Report.  I do not know how effective it is, but if you want to try it, here is the link:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/

Do an advanced search or you could browse for reports already in database.

For Insurance companies, the following is available:

https://eapps.naic.org/cis/

The easiest way is by just typing the company's name.  You do not have to type complaints in your seach.  If there are enough complaints about a certain company it will show in a general search.

Not necessary.
      mostly it will first show the webpages from the website of the company etc if you search the name only, even if it is infamous.

Maria,

The BBB is in bed with the corporations who pay for memberships, they accept payments from companies to artificially inflate their customer rating and drop complaints. They are probably one last people you'd want to turn to when looking for objective information about a company, short of the company itself. Any company who pays, gets A's. That's not just my liberal conspiracy theory, check out the 20/20 episode on the BBB.

You'll want to find independent websites which have no stake in the outcome of its users reviews, good or bad. As Jay said, searching Google for  "<company name> scam" and "<company name> reviews" should yield some interesting results. Mind legitimate reviews versus competitor reviews, you can usually distinguish the difference between the two as when a competitor in disguise is reviewing their competition, they will over use the company's name (a psychological method) or offer the same alternative (which is usually their business) several times. The review will typically be a little too negative.

Nevertheless, if you have a question about a business or you still feel skeptical after searching yourself, better safe than sorry! Post here again and we will be happy to do a search ourselves.

- Jeff

• Maria Bergheim

Jeff,
      Thank you for responding to my question. I wanted to check on a management company and after watching that 20/20 investigation.  I now have more questions than answers.
      Thank you.

• Jeff Fabish

Maria,

We're here to answer those questions! (:

• Maria Bergheim

Knowing companies pay to upgrade their standing, how can I find out how much the company in question paid to upgrade their status on BBB?

• Jeff Fabish

Memberships cost about $300 - $500, it depends. I'm sure they charge more to upgrade an account which has a bad reputation.

Google will show many sites like this :
    Type:  comapny name + hoax  or fraud or complaints

Read my answer to a similar question here :

http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/site-reviews-rental-companies-apartments/#comment-380919161