How can I find out which company produces ‘ethical’ cell phones?

Cassandra Gordon October 20, 2010

I need to purchase a mobile (cell) phone & my primary concern is ethical – materials, manufacturer, environmental & geo-political impact (etc). Where could this information be located or who can tell me please? Many thanks.

1. Jessica Cam W.

Not sure if this is what you want, but I know Sprint has the eco-friendly Samsung Reclaim, which is 80% made from recycled materials.

• Abrown20914

I have the Samsung Replenish and love it

2. PadThai

We all partake in this corrupt system no matter what we buy, say, or do. I guess the best thing you can do is either buy the phone used (at least that way you aren't contributing to new production of cell phones) or try a company like Credo Mobile who donates their profits to progressive causes.

3. Muo-4pr

Every cell phone you buy contributes to rape and murder in Africa. Using your cell phone puts you at risk of brain tumors. The pervasive EM blanket from ubiquitous cell towers threatens human health and more. If this sounds extreme, do some research. Sorry to rain on your parade.

4. Fragg3r

IMHO this is almost impossible...

In a phone are just so much electrical parts.
    Even parts with the same electrical specifications might come from different manufacturers. A phone produced one week later in production cycle might have parts from different manufacturers. Last but not least each manufacturer has various factories with the same parts being produced in multiple of them.

The only way to be certain is to open up the very same phone you are aiming to buy and track each serial number of each part back to it's roots...

... and we are still missing informations about every single factory regarding your points of concern... a good ~ actually bad example for is the whole Foxconn story

• fancasstic

That was much more complicated than I anticipated..! I'm deciding on a model atm ie, iphone vs htc (etc) & was hoping there would be a clear winner in terms environmental impact, fair trade, geo-political etc. I guess it's the luxury of the middle classes to consider such things. Thank you for your response Fragg3r : )