How do I find a book if I don’t know the author?

Hale May 12, 2010

I’m looking for the book “The Dark Side of Paradise” and I can’t remember the author. I know that it exists because I read it back when I was in Glenview middle school and I now have no idea as to how to find the book again. I remember what the cover looks like, but I don’t remember who wrote it. I’ve searched Google, Ask.com, and several other sites trying to find the exact book that I’m looking for. I really need to find the book. Can someone help me?

1. Laura

I am looking for a book that i read in high school my freshman year bout 5 years ago. i cant remember the name of the book nor the Author.  I just remember what the story was about and I want to read it again.  please help me out..... the story is about a guy who falls in love with a girl, he talks about their relationship during the story and how he loved everything about her. He talked about how she didn't like to wear shoes.  Than the girl gets pregnant and dies when she gives birth... after that the guy takes care of their little girl. He had to be a mother and a father to her. At first it was very hard for him because he was depress cause of her death, but he knew he had to remain strong for the baby. He stayed up all night sometimes taking care of her than in the morning he would get on a bus and take her to a babysitter, even though he didn't want to leave her he had to go to work to buy his baby everything she needed.  Some time went by and he talk about how the little girl was growing up and how she looked and smiled just like her mother and that she had her exact same eyes.  Every night he talked to his daughter about her mother and how she reminded him about her. I cant remember how it ended... I also remember that the story was being told by him and the only people he talked about was the girl he loved his mother and his daughter.

help please!!!

Laura,

I'm afraid you are unlikely to receive an answer within this comment thread. 

I recommend to follow some of the advice above in order to find the book yourself. If that doesn't work, find a literature forum, where you are more likely to receive the desired answer. Good luck!

2. nosleepingdogs

All good suggestions (and to Steve Campbell, librarians know a lot of books!).

Here's another, which will work when you do not know either the title or the author:
    abebooks.com "Booksleuth" community, here http://forums.abebooks.com/abesleuthcom

It's like a help forum, with many readers of wide knowledge who enjoy solving puzzles like, "When I was younger, and did most of my reading through the library, I read a novel about growing-up in India. The protagonists were children of a British cavalry officer who was involved in amatgamating two regiments of lancers. I believe this was immediately post WW I.

In addition to some wonderful adventures by the children, one or both were bitten by a cobra and had a close call...."

3. Saikat Basu
  4. Steve Campbell

I know it's overrated, but you could try visiting your local library. If multiple books exist by the same title, you could read a couple pages of them to see which is familiar. Since you said you'd recognize the cover, you can identify that way as well.

Trying to add to the list, here are what I've got after trying to do a little search at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Paradise-Jay-Dunn/dp/1438973578/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273744410&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Paradise-Connie-Crow/dp/1587495597/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273744410&sr=1-4

I hope one of those is what you are looking for. You can also try BN.com or Google by using "Book Title" + Book + Review. Chances are one of the other earthlings have read the book and made a review.

http://books.google.com

http://books.google.com/books?q=The+Dark+Side+of+Paradise&btnG=Search+Books

Are they it?

The harder question is trying to find a book when you don't know the author or title.

Hale,

I saw that there are many books with that title. So what I would suggest you is include a few more details about the plot in your search and exclude any authors / books that are not the book you're looking for.

I recently wrote an article that should help you improve your search with Google.
    6 Ways to Reduce Irrelevant Search Results on Google Search

Alternatively, I suggest to either just go to a library and ask there or get in touch with someone from your school and see whether they still have the book or whether your teacher from back then is available to give you the author's name.

Good luck!