Where can I find 64-bit Drivers for Sony ICD-SX46?

Robert Moskowitz March 24, 2010

I have a Sony Digital Voice Records, ICD-SX46, that works great. But now that I’ve switched to Windows 7 64-bit, I find it no longer gets recognized. Sony does not provide ICD-SX drivers for 64-bit systems. Can anyone help?

1. Me

If you're in window 7 home premium you won't have the XP mode (it's only available for windows 7 professional). However I've just got something else similar to work with my ICD-SX46 on a Windows 7 64 bit laptop. I had an old Windows XP disk (32 bit) and (a) I installed VMWare Player and then (b) created a Windows XP virtual machine using VMWare and the old disk. I then installed the latest version of Sony's Digital Voice Editor on the virtual machine and successfully played back a recording I made.

So with a large amount of messing around you can get an ICD-SX46 working on 64-bit Windows 7. So presumably there is no technical reason why Sony couldn't get it to work either....

2. Guy Cottino

Craig or anyone who can help an old non-techie, how do I switch to the Virtual SP Maching in Windows 7 Home Premium OS

3. Craig Boehlke

Try this.  Within Windows 7 switch to the Virtual XP machine.  Once the Virtual XP is running load your software for the ICD-SX46.  Everything should work as it did before!

4. Traceyfd

Im devastated by this.... I use my sx 64 for recording electronic voice phenemona (EVP) in ghost investigating. I have had this one for a couple of years and its sound recordings are excellent. Much better than any of the other dvr's that others have and better than my sisters sony. It also has voice up option which they dont seem to have now. I dont want to part wiht it. There must be a way around this. Fair enough that I have to use a cord to upload the files into the software whereby my sister has to just plug hers in but her quality is nowhere as good. I dont want to go back to vista to be able to upload the files. I dont like vista

5. Jonathan

The problem is with the recorder chip, itself. See: http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C1015370

So apparently, the ICDSX46 can never be made compatable with Windows 7.

6. pceasies

When you say Vista drivers don't work have you tried the following:

1. Extract contents of installer using Universal Install Extractor or 7z
    2. Confirm the extracted installer contains a .inf file
    3. Open device manager and choose to update the driver
    4. Select the "Browse my computer option"
    5. Hit "Have Disk" button and select the inf
    6. You should get an option on the list to choose from (you may need to ignore/continue through any prompts that come up)

Make sure you use a 64bit driver and see if that works. You can also try installing the driver in compatibility mode (Windows XP).

7. Owl

Vista drivers do not work. When you call their tech. sup. they tell you that the new Digital Voice Editor v. 3.3 supports Win 7 drivers for other recorders. Keep calling them and send them e-mail through their website. Remember that Win 7 Home will not support Virtual Machine, so you're really out of luck if you have this OS and Sony does not come up with a solution. I paid over $150 for that device which Sony wants to turn into a piece of crap.

8. Taty

Sony might not have come up with one yet, but if it hasn't you might be out of luck for now. A few cameras have interchangeable drivers, but Sony tends to be very particular about its drivers. My one advice is that you contact their tech support. It might speed things up or they might let you know if they already have one in beta.

9. Satrianez