Does filtering by ‘average customer review’ better indicate reliability in Amazon items search results?

Drsunil V April 5, 2014

I agree with the previous comments.

If you look at the star ratings see how much ratings were actually given e.g. an item with a 5 star rating that was rated by 3 people may not be as good as one with 4 stars that was rated by 500 people.

Personally I tend to read all, the highest, the lowest and some reviews in-between. Often some of the negatives mention in the mid-section are the only complaint of people giving it a very low rating. The same goes the other way around with high ratings.

Also if an item is sold by a third-party seller see if it is available directly from Amazon or at least shipping via Amazon.

• Drsunil V

Thank you very much! Very useful answer for online purchase!

2. Ben S

I've heard advice that it's a good idea to read the 3-star reviews on Amazon or other sites. Most people tend to polarize ratings and rate 5 stars if they decide they like it and 1 if they had some problem. I've seen products with overwhelmingly positive reviews with only a few negatives - and the low scores say something like "The shipping was slow" or "This wasn't compatible with my device." Neither of these reflect the actual quality of the product - just a related negative experience.

Take ratings with a grain of salt, but if there's a majority, it's likely that the majority is correct. Try reading comments on other sites if Amazon doesn't have enough reviews on something.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. Very true the points about 'majority' and also about 5 and 1 point for like and dislike respectively is likely

I assume you mean the sorting by Amazon's star rating. Like any rating system, it's not entirely reliable, but if enough people contribute ratings & reviews then yes, it can be quite effective. In other words, you can look at the star ratings, but you also need to discount or ignore items for which there are few reviews.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. I understood!