What filing system does the Sony Bravia TV use to format an external Hard Drive?

December 22, 2013

When I connect an HDD to my Bravia TV USB recording port it formats the drive, and I then make an off air recording. When I subsequently plug that HDD to my PC/laptop it thinks the drive is unformatted and asks if I want to proceed to format it. Consequently I can’t save any files on another drive/system.
Conversely If I let the PC/laptop preceed to format the drive (FAT32 or NTFS) and remove it back to the TV the TV then wants to reformat it.
So my question is what filing system is the TV employing to format the drive?

1. Hdkey

Since posting the above I have revisted Ubuntu. It will read the drive/file structure but not recognize how the files should run (perhaps not surprisingly). So I have copied some files to another (NTFS) HDD and will experiment further under Windows.

2. Hdkey

Thanks.

Usually,Sony is trying to prevent piracy in doing so.Whatever the Sony formats your drive to,it adds encryption to your HDD so that its data is prevented from getting copied.Even if you try copying shows from a Set-top box,it'll format the drive and encrypt it.

4. Hdkey

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments but with respect I know this.

According to the Sony manual for one Bravia model, the answer is:

Any data stored in the USB HDD device will be erased when it is formatted during the registration process. The USB HDD device cannot be used with a PC once it is registered to the TV. To enable use of the USB HDD device on a PC, format it on the PC. (Note that any data in the USB HDD device will be erased).

Of course, it could be different for your model, so check the manual for your particular model.