Should I back up my files in Windows XP before repairing the system?

currious December 25, 2011

If I repair system using original setup disk, will I lose my documents and files? Windows XP. I see a windows/system32/CONFIG\system error

1. Terry Schneider

Regardless of the what operating system you have you should have a image backup of your drive or drives. This image should be updated every time there are major updates due to added programs. Your hard drive should be partitioned into an operating system and data partition. All data should be saved to the data partition and therefore a simple backup can be performed at the end of the day on the data partition. With the partition method only the operating system needs to be imaged on a regular schedule with data being backed up as stated above. 

2. TYGRCAT

It is always better to be safe than sorry.  Backup files first, THEN do what you need to do.

3. TYGRCAT

4. TYGRCAT

5. TYGRCAT

6. Lee

You probably don't NEED to, because doing a repair install should keep your files intact, but I'd recommend backing up anyway just in case something happens and you lose your data. If you have a method for backing up, it wont take much time to do and you are pretty much guaranteed that your data will be safe.

7. RDC

Always do back up when working on XP, I speak from experience. you never know how the old girl will react to you messing with her internals.  

You should always make and maintain back up discs to allow for such times as this. Also, archiving and keepingimportant doc's, folders, and pictures, etc. on an external drive is an excellent way to save you from toattly rebuilding. You can reinstall applications, but without backups, you cannot and will not have your vital info. Note: you could get a technician to run file recovery programs, but archiving and backing up is the best way to restore your valuable data.

9. Burmesedrama01

Pls, someone tell me for how can i get it back volume icon on my XP window's toolbar?  I lost my audio icon on my toolbar and if i want to adjust my volume level i  have to go to the control panel's sounds and audio devices and then adjust volume level on Volume tab. thank a lot for your time,ks

10. Rodney Mumford

Yes is always a good answer. Everyone knows that if anything can go wrong it will, so why chance it. In fact, back up your files anyway. Once a month at least.

11. Bradbradshaw

Yes.

Hello, usually there are no problems with regards to documents and files being lost when doing a repair.  All the repair does is create a folder in your drive named windows old.  In this folder, your documents and files should be saved.  It is a matter of navigating to this folder to recover your files to a new installation.  Having said that, it is never a bad idea to create a repair.  

No, I don't think you will have a problem. All the system repair utility does is check the current system files against the files on the disk, if Windows deems the file as corrupted it will replace the file on your hard drive with the file on the disk.

However, backing up before you do anything questionable is a good idea. I wouldn't advise against it, just saying it's probably not necessary.

depends when you boot on windows xp cd and choose repair this will not delete files.
    http://pcsupport.about.com/b/2008/04/10/reinstall-windows-xp-lose-keep-data.htm

How To Reinstall Windows Without Losing Your Data
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-reinstall-windows-without-losing-your-data/

if you have hirens boot cd
    http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd
    there is a minixp inside that you can boot from it and you can use to back up files to another partition or external device.