Why have the files on my Nokia 500 phone been changed to .lnk?

Anonymous May 14, 2014

The folders that I have in my on my Nokia 500 have been changed to .LNK files and I cant view any of these files through my mobile or via my laptop.
How can I fix this?

Hi, friend.
    The virus you’re talking acts by installing itself in your external drive, hiding your folders as system protected files and then creating false folders with the exact same icon and name which serve as shortcuts to the virus itself. As you say you already removed it, all you have to do is change your folders back to a normal state. Here’s how you do it (assuming you’re using Windows):
    1)Open up Folder Options (you can find it in the Control Panel or under the “Tool” menu on Windows Explorer);
    2)Click on the “View” tab;
    3)You will see a list with a lot of checkboxes, go ahead and check “Show hidden files and folders”. Also make sure you uncheck “Hide protected system files”;
    4)Now go to your external drive and you will see your folders back. Unfortunately, they cannot be changed back into regular folders manually (at least not in an easy way), so you will have a bit more work to do here. You have to create new folders somewhere else in your computer, (for example, inside a “usb backup” folder in My Documents) with the same names of the folders the virus affected. Ignore any folder with weird names (e.g folders you didn’t have before catching the virus), as they may still contain undetected malware. You can also ignore the “RECYCLE” folder, as it is automatically created by the system if needed;
    5)Now you can copy the contents of each individual folder into its duplicates, as the files itself will probably be untouched by the virus;
    6)After you’ve finished copying the files, backup the files you still have in the drive’s root folder (the one you first open when browsing your external drive), again ignoring any files with weird names, for the same reasons above.
    7)Now, as a last safety measure, format your drive, to make sure you get rid of any possible virus.
    8)Finally, copy your files back into the drive and you are good to go!

Well, i’m afraid you computer is actually the source of the virus wich is infecting your drive. As a first option, try starting windows in safe mode and do a full antivirus scan in all of your drives and maybe try running some anti-spyware as well (i’ve seen spywares do some crazy stuff, like opening and closing cd trays at random). If that doesn’t work, you can either try reading the link i will post below, to see if it helps, or go ahead, backup your files, taking care to not include any virus in your backup (leaving out any file with weird names or .exe, .com and .bat files helps a lot here) and format your system, followed by a clean OS install.

Best Regards!

Solution credited to : Rodrigo ( http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/access-data-external-drive-virus-turned-folders-turned-lnk-files/ )

This solution resolved the problem for all the previous Nokia 500 phone user who faced this problem.